Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Roof Glass Cracked - Tesla not covering aftermarket tint & coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The subtext to me is that due to rear glass being so large it is very expensive and a hassle to tint, and paying that again sucks. Paying to retint a "normal" rear window is maybe $100, likely less. The Tesla rear window was half of my tint cost (~400 (Xpel Prime XR)) when I got it done and took him many attempts and all day to do in a single piece. I noticed a couple small bubbles in the rear and so the tint person I went to, who is a perfectionist, redid it again for free. Overall he's attempted my window 6 times over 2 days, and he's done every other car I've brought fantastically, so I have confidence in him. What I'm getting at is that there significant hassle involved getting it tinted in the first place let alone redoing it because of replacement glass.

The other part is that the glass-roof is not a value-add to me, but a pain that I have to deal with to have a nice EV. I would have preferred a standard roof. If I had to go through and have the roof retinted ... again I'd be quite irritated as well!

Overall, bummer. Hope the new glass works out better for you!

Issues after issues.. here's the latest one: a stress crack similar to those posted in [1], [2], [3]. Tesla Service got back to me after I made a service appointment and I sent them pictures. A technician will confirm that it is under warranty.

Here's the rub: I have my back glass tinted and with Ceramic Pro coating and the first word from the service rep is that they will NOT be covering the aftermarket tint and coating. I am curious if anyone else has received similar responses under similar situation. This is also a PSA for anyone else considering getting aftermarket tint/coating done.

Getting the tint/coating redone out of my own pocket won't be cheap. Granted, I do still love the car.
I think it is logical for what you described regarding Tesla’s warranty. If you are Tesla, will you pay someone aftermarket accessories that is applied on the product you manufactured? If some one put a gold foil layer on the product that cost $20,000, will u pay for it when u replace the product. I guess the answer is likely NO. You sold the product, if the product has a defect or the product failed under warranty period. You will replace or repair the the product and not anything else. You never know what accessories or where the product will be used. Starman’s back glass crack go up there and replace it. Well for Elon, it is possible via spaceX.
My 2 cents.

Issues after issues.. here's the latest one: a stress crack similar to those posted in [1], [2], [3]. Tesla Service got back to me after I made a service appointment and I sent them pictures. A technician will confirm that it is under warranty.

Here's the rub: I have my back glass tinted and with Ceramic Pro coating and the first word from the service rep is that they will NOT be covering the aftermarket tint and coating. I am curious if anyone else has received similar responses under similar situation. This is also a PSA for anyone else considering getting aftermarket tint/coating done.

Getting the tint/coating redone out of my own pocket won't be cheap. Granted, I do still love the car.

Hi,

Do understand your rant, but (or any other car manufacturers) Tesla never covers any "after-market' products. You should know this if you have owned any cars in past.... period.

Some insurance companies do cover a few (ceramic coats, vinyl coats, special paints, glass tints...etc.) after market products, but only caveat being you'll have to do a claim with them (that sure might jack up your premiums though).