Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear row side window cleanly broke in half on 3 month old Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heading out to pick up our daughter from school, heard some weird noise at the back, then the entire back window snapped cleanly off and dropped on the street. I was 3 blocks from my house on residential street (probably 20mph). No rock. No chip. Just clean snap. No other car. Glad my toddler wasn't in the back. No one was on the street either. Frustrating as the car is less than 4 month old. Anyone knows if this is common? Anything I should have done differently? Owned 4 different cars so far, and this is a first.
Also frustrating, I tried to contact customer service and could not find the option to talk to anyone. No idea how long appt lasts. On the app, the earliest appt is 1 week from now, at a center far away, not convenient for a car without window. The closest center, earliest appt is Dec 12! This car is my main mean of transportation.
Also, does anyone know since the car is so new whether tesla will cover the cost? Debating whether i should inform my insurance...

My apology guys. Had dinner, and came back to a lots of posts. I seem to have not done a good job writing the description. That windows belong to the back door. And I just came out to take a look one more time, it seems the glass snapped in 2, the bottom bit still deep inside the door, the top part on the street, as previously mentioned. I am surprised because car window glasses dont just snap in 2 like that. Did not mean to report something sensational that requires video backup. My question remains though, in your opinion?
- will tesla cover it?
- if not, how much will something like this cost? Considering whether i should contact insurance.
- is there a way to talk to a human being at tesla? Trying to see if they have earlier appt at closer center.

• Disagree
Reactions: CaptainSlooow
I thought the door windows weren’t laminated like the windshield and apparently they’re tempered as others have indicated so if it did break there would be many little pieces. As to how it happened, who knows? If you can’t take it to a SC in a timely manner I’d take it to a glass repair place and let them look at it and replace it. If you have glass coverage under your auto policy shouldn’t be much of an issue.
Here’s one article why some types of glass break:
Spontaneous Glass Breakage: Why it happens and what to do about it

Last edited:
Reactions: Common_Loon
as Kilotango74 said, I too am highly suspicious of someone who says they've had their Model 3 for only 3 months to make this kind of post. Something doesn't add up. No previous posts to the TMC before now and when something bad happens the next thing they do is sign as a new member and claims one of the windows snaps in two. If something like this happened to my car I'd at least would have taken some pictures (cause most folks have their phone with them) to document for the forum and also for Tesla Service. I suppose anything is possible but it's not giving most of us here any warm fuzzies. YMMV.

Thanks @C141medic ! Need to check if my insurance has glass coverage.

@Kilotango74 i am amused by your statement. Wonder what I am suspected of doing, but honestly not care enough to follow up. I asked 3 questions as I am new Tesla owner, and you guys in this forum obviously have more experience than I do dealing with Tesla. I think I got partial answers from @C141medic. That should be sufficient in today's internet I guess. Thanks for reading guys.

• Disagree
Reactions: CaptainSlooow
@Vietlam please post photos of your broken window. It will just take a few minutes to do. A reasonable request.

Side windows are tempered and when they break they break into hundreds of small pieces. The idea that a side window “snapped in 2, the bottom bit still deep inside the door, the top part on the street”, as you wrote, is hard for people to understand. Photos would be helpful.

Note: I edited the thread title to make it more accurate, based on your description.

Thanks @C141medic ! Need to check if my insurance has glass coverage.

@Kilotango74 i am amused by your statement. Wonder what I am suspected of doing, but honestly not care enough to follow up. I asked 3 questions as I am new Tesla owner, and you guys in this forum obviously have more experience than I do dealing with Tesla. I think I got partial answers from @C141medic. That should be sufficient in today's internet I guess. Thanks for reading guys.
Good luck with the repairs. As to if Tesla will cover it, you won’t know until they’ve looked at it. Some owners have reported stress crack to the roof area which were mostly covered by Tesla if I’m not mistaken (you can search those threads for more info). As to speaking with a human from Tesla, that remains an issue from what I’ve read in this forum. If it was me, I’d take a ride to the closest SC if you want Tesla to look at it. Otherwise just deal with it through your auto insurance plan.