Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Seat Belts Locking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This technically is not a malfunction. I have this same issue with my car and the service guys in Seattle tell me that the rear seat belts are designed to lock up after braking. I think this is a poor design and why they would do this is beyond me (assuming they are accurate).

I had posted about this before.

My Model S has seat belts for skin(nier) drivers (and no tow hook). - Page 2

The problem is early rear seat belt assemblies have limited travel. Comparing to later MS belts they are 6 to 7 " shorter in travel. That's why they lock up so easily.
The SC finally understood what I meant on the 2nd try. I told them to compare the extensions between my car and others in service.
The result - they replaced my belts under warranty.
Problem solved.

Last edited:
I had posted about this before.

My Model S has seat belts for skin(nier) drivers (and no tow hook). - Page 2

The problem is early rear seat belt assemblies have limited travel. Comparing to later MS belts they are 6 to 7 " shorter in travel. That's why they lock up so easily.
The SC finally understood what I meant on the 2nd try. I told them to compare the extensions between my car and others in service.
The result - they replaced my belts under warranty.
Problem solved.

That's great news. I will get mine replaced then.

Yes, don't take no for an answer.

Here are the details off my service invoice:

Concern: Customer states rear seat belts are too short for comfort. Seat belts ratchet back to locked position when extended. Customer claims seat belts extension is 6 inches shorter than in his other vehicles.

Correction: 2nd row seat belts general diagnosis. Inspected rear seat belts for being too short. Confirmed seat belts were an older revision which are in fact shorter. Replacement required.

The parts replaced are US/CA - Seatbelt Asy, 2nd row blk (1023136-00-B)

BTW reading earlier posts there seems to be a confusion as to what happens with these seat belts. Under proper operation, the belts will lock (ratchet) upon sudden movements (as in rapid stops); but they ALSO ratchet if drawn out to full extension and don't release until retracted almost to original position. This second ratcheting action I think is required so that the belts can be used to anchor child seats. I also note that this particular ratchet action only works with rear seat belts, and front passenger belt. I did not see it with the driver seat belt.

Thus you can see why this undesired ratcheting action occurs with rear seat passengers if the extension is not sufficiently long enough to accommodate normal movement.

Yes, don't take no for an answer.

Here are the details off my service invoice:

Concern: Customer states rear seat belts are too short for comfort. Seat belts ratchet back to locked position when extended. Customer claims seat belts extension is 6 inches shorter than in his other vehicles.

Correction: 2nd row seat belts general diagnosis. Inspected rear seat belts for being too short. Confirmed seat belts were an older revision which are in fact shorter. Replacement required.

BTW reading earlier posts there seems to be a confusion as to what happens with these seat belts. Under proper operation, the belts will lock (ratchet) upon sudden movements (as in rapid stops); but they ALSO ratchet if drawn out to full extension and don't release until retracted almost to original position. This second ratcheting action I think is required so that the belts can be used to anchor child seats. I also note that this particular ratchet action only works with rear seat belts, and front passenger belt. I did not see it with the driver seat belt.

Thus you can see why this undesired ratcheting action occurs with rear seat passengers if the extension is not sufficiently long enough to accommodate normal movement.

Thanks. I have my annual service next week and I already listed the locking rear seat belt issue as one of the things I'd like fixed (multiple passengers have complained). It's nice to know they know what the issue is and there is a fix.

Interesting. I had the work done last march for this problem, and here is my parts list:

Part

US/CA/EU - SEATBELT BRKT, 2ND ROW LH

(1022114-00-A)

US/CA/EU - SEATBELT BRKT, 2ND ROW

RH (1022115-00-A)

LOCK NUT,7/16-20 in, cl 8, 96 hr Zn

(1023048-00-D)

BLT, 4.4SHLDR, PAN HEAD M12 x 1.75 x 28

(1013031-00-A)

US/CA/EU - M12x1.75 ANCHOR BOLT

(1024900-00-A)

GROMMET 11F 5 (1006642-00-A) 2.00

US/CA - SEATBELT ASY, 2ND ROW BLK

(1023136-00-A)

CLIP, FLEX HEART (1009239-00-A) 1.00

Trim Clip, TRW 1030063840 (1014969-00-A) 1.00

Interesting. I had the work done last march for this problem, and here is my parts list:

US/CA - SEATBELT ASY, 2ND ROW BLK

(1023136-00-A)

Interesting - it looks like the seatbelt asy part number is identical to mine except for the suffix A (vs B).
Could that be because your seat belts are different in color because of your tan leather interior vs my black leather interior?

Anyway, was the seat belt problem resolved in your case? And what were the comments in the Service Invoice?

Interesting - it looks like the seatbelt asy part number is identical to mine except for the suffix A (vs B).
Could that be because your seat belts are different in color because of your tan leather interior vs my black leather interior?

Anyway, was the seat belt problem resolved in your case? And what were the comments in the Service Invoice?

I have the tan interior, but the seat belts are black. The comments were as follows:

Concern: Customer states: "rear seat belt won't extend properly". Inspect and advise.

Cause: Rear seat belt catching on certain angles

Correction: Install Updated 2nd Row Seatbelts, LH and RH

Re&re rear trunk trim and seat bolster. Install updated seat belts and brackets as per bulletin

The "concern" was abbreviated from my comments which included the fact that they didn't seem to extend far enough and would lock up tight. The Service Center rep seemed to be aware of the problems people were having. Not sure where the "catching on certain angles" came from.

My 86 yr. old mother has trouble getting in and out of the back, so my wife would sit back there when we took her out with us. She couldn't get the belt around her last winter with her coat on and it would ratchet tight if she eventually did get it to extend. My wife now refuses to sit back there, even after the fix, so it's hard to say if the problem is completely resolved. I've tried it out myself and it seems okay, but I'm usually in the driver's seat.

The "concern" was abbreviated from my comments which included the fact that they didn't seem to extend far enough and would lock up tight. The Service Center rep seemed to be aware of the problems people were having. Not sure where the "catching on certain angles" came from.

From what I can tell, sometimes the SC has to put in certain verbiage to make the repair acceptable to corporate. This will eventually lead to problems down the road, but it's the expedient thing to do to keep the customer happy.

I have the tan interior, but the seat belts are black. The comments were as follows:

Concern: Customer states: "rear seat belt won't extend properly". Inspect and advise.

Cause: Rear seat belt catching on certain angles

Correction: Install Updated 2nd Row Seatbelts, LH and RH

Re&re rear trunk trim and seat bolster. Install updated seat belts and brackets as per bulletin

My 86 yr. old mother has trouble getting in and out of the back, so my wife would sit back there when we took her out with us. She couldn't get the belt around her last winter with her coat on and it would ratchet tight if she eventually did get it to extend. My wife now refuses to sit back there, even after the fix, so it's hard to say if the problem is completely resolved. I've tried it out myself and it seems okay, but I'm usually in the driver's seat.

I note the phrase (bolded) - as per bulletin.
Does this imply there was a service bulletin referring to this issue?

In my service invoice, the comment - 'confirmed seat belts were an older revision which are in fact shorter' - also implies newer Model S's have different seat belts.

From what I can tell, sometimes the SC has to put in certain verbiage to make the repair acceptable to corporate. This will eventually lead to problems down the road, but it's the expedient thing to do to keep the customer happy.

I did mention that the belt would "lock" part way out if you pulled it too fast. I did not associate it with any "angle", but maybe they knew that's what the cause was???

- - - Updated - - -

I noticed that on my repair invoice too. I assumed that's what it meant.

One thing with these invoices is that they are emailed out after the fact. The Service folks are really good at going over what was done verbally, but you don't have the opportunity to discuss little nuances like this without the paper in hand. And it wasn't enough of a burning curiosity for me to bother them by calling back about it :smile:

In my service invoice, the comment - 'confirmed seat belts were an older revision which are in fact shorter' - also implies newer Model S's have different seat belts.

The procedure that the Tech uses to install the updated seat belts and brackets is called a bulletin. So they are saying that installed it according to the directions supplied by Tesla.

The Rockville SC replaced my seat belts the other day. They actually contacted me before I was able to contact them. As usual the service was excellent! A big kudos to Judith and the other Tesla staff.

The new seat belts are much better and my passengers have had no problems.

The Rockville SC replaced my seat belts the other day. They actually contacted me before I was able to contact them. As usual the service was excellent! A big kudos to Judith and the other Tesla staff.

The new seat belts are much better and my passengers have had no problems.
They told me that's just how the seat beats works, and not to pull them out too far.

Since I never sit in the back, it does not effect me much, and the kids don't have a problem with it, but several adults who have sat in the back have complained about it.

Seems like a bad design, but not big enough of a deal to make a stink to get it fixed.