TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear-seat entertainment system absolutely necessary?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Lyon, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

I don't think that it's a necessary optional accessory on the Model S, but I think that it is on Model X. I'm thinking that, since they are going after the mini-van/CUV market, they're going to be marketing this thing at families.

Personally, I'd prefer that there be individual headrest screens that have wireless headsets. It would be cool if there were screes for the 3rd row passengers (making 4 screens total) All of the kid movies we have are on DVD and, although it technically violates copyright laws, I wouldn't mind ripping them. It would be great it the system could be controlled from the front touch-screen and it would allow (or the front-seat passenger) could play video files from the hard drive on each screen simultaneously or individually.

Another option is a large, fold-down screen that stows in the roof. I don't know how that will work with the falcon doors though.

What are your thoughts? RES necessary? How would the ideal system look, in your opinion?

2. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

With the ubiquity of iPads and smartphones these days, I think that installed entertainment systems are becoming dated. My son is much happier playing/watching what he wants, rather than having the "here's what we're watching now on the DVD" pushed on him.

3. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

I agree entertainment is necessary but I also agree that iPads (and Kindle Fires) are becoming so common that those can be better options.

So maybe Tesla should provide a USB port and an iPad / Kinde Fire mount with each headrest - that would be cool!

We know they can't put USB ports in the doors :).

4. Lyon

My kids are a little young to operate an iPad without help (something that can get annoying when we're up front). It's really nice to be able to control the rear-seat entertainment thing from the front. I'm sure that they'll want iPads when they're a little older.

5. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

At the risk of sounding old-fashioned, good parenting does not strictly require providing one's children with a steady diet of dancing pixels.

6. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Granted I do not have kids yet. But I have stated many times that my car will not have TVs in the back for kids. If they come as a standard option they are getting ripped out.

Time to play the alphabet game (a-z from signs on the side of the road).
    License plate game.
    or something else.

I have traumatic memories of of 500+ mile car trips. And I want my children to experience the same.

So hopefully in 6 years after my 40kWh battery is toast I can upgrade to a 180kWh or so so they can have a 500 mile slog at least once.

7. Lyon

Ours doesn't get turned on unless they're going to be in the car for longer than an hour and given the fact that they get to watch almost no TV at home it's a real treat for them. I don't use the thing all that often, but when I do, its worth its weight in gold. When they're older I'm going to encourage reading, interacting with each other, etc, but, for now, I'm glad that I can turn on the soma-box for a few hours on long car trips.

8. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Aren't they going to be two years older by the time you get your X? I'm will to bet that by then they'll be showing you how to use an iPad.

9. Lyon

The four year old is already kind of doing that so I'm assuming that he'll be a pro by age 6. The two year old uses his mom's iPhone all the time but doesn't really do anything on purpose. And then there's the fact that I don't think that we're done having kids so there could be a little baby by the time the X arrives.

Your point is well taken about the iPads though; in the S I plan on strapping one to each front headrest and letting them watch movies that way. It could be, if they like that setup, I'll just transfer it to the X when it gets here.

10. WhiteKnight

Right now the Model S (and X) have integrated headrests so there is no way to remove the headrest put a mount around the posts on the headrest and then put the headrest back on the seats. :-(

11. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Maybe not! Take a look here:

dsc01072.jpg

Those headrests are adjustable, which means there may be a way to hang something on them.

12. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Better pic:

Untitled.jpg

13. WhiteKnight

Good catch! They look integrated but apparently they are not. I stand corrected.

14. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Even better pic of headrests:

Tesla-Model-X-Second-Row-Seats.jpg

15. strider

strider Active Member

Also going from memory of Model S, the fronts are adjustable but the rears are fixed so you could still strap something to the fronts.

16. DZCPA

DZCPA 2.5 2011#1263 "NO GAZZZ"

Make it an option. Some of us do not need it as our kids are older.

17. Lyon

I agree, I tried to predicate the discussion on the idea that any RES would be an option. I just think given the market segment Tesla are aiming at, some kind of system is a neccessity. Some people (not me) will see lack of available RES as a deal-breaker.

18. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

If Tesla doesn't offer it, some third party will. Not really that big of a deal.

19. Bearman

Bearman Member

I would like to install a folding table to put a laptop on, but that will be possible to do aftermarket. I've had bad experiences with touchscreens in the headrests I would not recommend that to anyone.

20. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

I don't have kids, but if I would they wouldn't be getting amused by pixels the whole drive.

When I was a kid I had to sit 10 hours in the back reading comics and counting cars during our trips to Austria and Switzerland.

What however would be great is if they'd equip every seat with a (high power!) USB port, that way passengers can chars their phones, tablets and run other devices. Also, make the rear speakers a bit better. Rear speakers always give crappy sound.