TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear Seat Entrance Leather Wear

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Hut, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Hut

Hut Canada

Anyone have similar issue?

1.jpg 2.jpg

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

The problem is that this car has too many soft surfaces near the door openings. Look at just about any other car, and the areas around the door and where a person would normally rub are hard surfaces. Too bad, because these areas are going to look ratty after a while, and it is one of the first things you notice when you open the door to get in.

3. Hut

Hut Canada

Exactly! I've same concern. I don't want my car look like these after a few months.

IMG_2852.JPG

4. tomanik

tomanik Member

Didn't realize that accessing the rear seats also had a similar issue. Thanks for sharing.

5. htsai14752

htsai14752 Member

Tesla must fix this problem. Would have been better if they used plastic or leatherette to wrap like most luxury car brands.

6. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Hope this is covered under warranty with some sort of solution (quiet recall/fix). Those seats look like 15-20 year old Ferraris. Not 2-month old modern cars...

7. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Wow. This really sucks.

8. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Does anyone know if tesla covers this?

9. Liz G

Liz G P03056

FYI
    Tesla may cover this. I say may because I'm not sure if there is a time factor. But I've had my car only 3 weeks and already have a small wear patch on the corner of the B Pillar. I showed it to my service guy and he is ordering a replacement under warranty.

BTW I noticed it a little over a week ago and created an exit profile which moves the seat forward and brings the steering wheel in toward the dash and up allowing me to exit the car without hitting the B Pillar. Takes a little longer to get out of the car but it looks like that stopped any further damage to the pillar.

10. andrewket

Sounds like a business opportunity for someone to create a perfectly molded plastic or other material part to cover these areas until Tesla comes up with their own solution(s).

11. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Replacement is simply reloading and I can not imagine they will do that for long. Hopefully it is a stop gap until a solution is found.

12. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I suspect this would be considered a wear and tear item and not subject to warranty repair... at least officially. Just my opinion. But I agree - it's bad design and either was inadequately tested, overlooked or frankly ignored.

Band - Aid approaches may be limited to film coating or hard plastic coating.

Otherwise, you need to be conscious of how you enter the car every time.

Sent via Tapatalk.

13. kevincwelch

14. wstuff

wstuff Junior Member

I think it is very reasonable to expect seats and surroundings upholstered in leather to last with continued use. That is one reason leather was used in automotive seats, better wear and longevity. I had a 98 C5 corvette and put about 30k on that car while I owned it and GM replaced the seat covers three times under warranty. The reasoning was they had skimped on the quality of the material . The door post entry is a poor design on the front seat entry of the S and if it has to be like that for some engineering or safety reason then the contact area needs to be covered with a very tough leather cover or some suitable protection, an owner has a right to expect a car they look after properly to maintain it's performance and appearance , I'm very confident TESLA is researching this issue and will come up with a proper fix.

15. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

#15 carrerascott, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
    Gets good reviews on Amazon. Also found coupon code FIRSTTIMER for 10% off. Might be worth a try.

16. clea

clea Member

That does look like it might do the job, thanks for the link. I have ordered some and will apply it on all four wear points when I get my car before there is any wear and report back on its effectiveness.

17. MarkR

MarkR Member

SKUFF sounds like a great product, but isn't really an answer for what is a design flaw for both the front and rear seat wear areas. I've written to GeorgeB who was already aware of this. We need to be certain to keep some pressure on the execs at TM because some of the service people have been told to advise owners that it isn't to be covered under warranty.

18. andrewket

Hopefully tesla can create a plastic guard rather quickly. Minimize the number of cars that leave the factory without a fix.

19. kevincwelch

Agreed.

But for those experiencing problems, it might be a good temporary fix.

I'll probably order some and test it on my shoes or something first unless I hear sooner from the people here first! :)

Sent via Tapatalk.

20. johndoe74

johndoe74 Member

Is the leather piece attached to the B-pillar and the rear door only available in the Signature or performance cars? Mine (non-performance 85kwh) looks totally different from the pictures in this thread.