Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Seat Head room?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've made a dimensionally accurate model of the CT, to under a inch (1-2cm). The total vehicle length, width, height and internal bed length are all dimensionally accurate and proportional to eachother if you scale the various photos to the dimensions provided.

The rear seat should easily have enough clearance on the current prototype, assuming it only has a single row of batteries like the MS/MX/M3, where the packs are only 100mm. I don't know if there will be two floor heights if there is a double stack pack version in the TM version. If so we might loose another 70-80mm to the floor. We know there is no chassis thickness as this is in the sidewalls now with the exoskeleton design, so we can expect the seats/footwells to be mounted virtually on the pack like in the other models.

So at the rear wall of the cab, which is further back than a person sits, there is a total of 1354mm between the glass roof and the underbody plate. If you take off 100-120mm for the pack you're left with 1234mm of room on the back wall. One's head would be in front of this however, where there is more room because of the increasing roof line, to about 1296mm or about 51"inches high. These measurement are without using a reclining seat btw, so depending on the reclining angle of the back seat even I with 6'6" should fit in the back without an issue. A hardhat might not clear for me though, as there's no easy way of figuring out the seat height, and recline angle from the interior youtube videos or pictures. Dimensionally the interior is still a bit of a mystery.

In the three front seats this looks much better with between 100-110mm (4") more clearance, but this time under the apex cross support, that is about 50mm below the actual glass roof however. At the end of the day what is the likelihood of there being six or even four 6'6" passengers in the vehicle with hardhats on? Most vehicles on mine sites etc have 1-2 pax, building sites seldom have 6 big guys in a single pickup. That just doesn't look cool...

In saying all of that though, I can't see what the problem is with taking your hat, or hardhat off in the vehicle, if you happen to sit in the back and are tall as well. You'd do tat for long trips anyway, and for short trip you can just suffer. Sure some need to wear a hardhat all the time, but most of the time they're vertically challenged as well!. ;-) Regardless, it will definitely will fit tall people in the back. The big boss in the front can always keep his hat on and not be phased with showing his bald spot, or graying mane. :p