TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear-seat headrests adjustable or not?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by matbl, Sep 2, 2013.

1. matbl

matbl Member

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I can't find any conclusive answer on the currently shipping version of Model S.
    Are the reas-seat headrests adjustable or not? I know they were fixed earlier but pictures floating around seems to suggest differently. Including on Teslas own website.
    Or are those pictures of early versions and this was later changed?
    Anyone in Europe (I'm in Sweden so EU-version is what matters to me) that can clarify this on an actual European production car?
    Thanks!

2. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

No they can't unfortunately....

Aaron

3. Effects

Effects Member

Wondering if they can easily be removed??

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

No, can't be removed, they're built into the seat.

5. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

They were on the pre-production models ... at least the one I saw at Santana Row. Anyone know why they changed that?

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

One theory that was floated around the forums was that it made safety an easier nut to crack. More specifically, the theory involved something about "with a movable headrest, it has to perform well in any possible position of the headrest even if the user is mentally challenged."

7. matbl

matbl Member

Too bad. This really is a stupid thing not to have even if most owners don't care, all premium brands (and most others) have this.
    It is the little things like this that makes me think again if I really can replace the BMW 5-series station wagon I currently have with a Tesla S.

8. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

The rumour went that the EU models would have adjustable headrests in the back, but I can confirm that they are fixed just like in the US models.

9. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

If I remember correctly there wasn't much room to move the rear headrests up and down due to the low height of the roof.

- - - Updated - - -

In addition to safety testing I wonder if there were manufacturing challenges. With the low roof and the large section of headrest that moved it might have been difficult to install and remove them. I haven't scoped out how it works on an A7 and similar vehicles with low head room in back.

10. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

#10 SwedishAdvocate, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Assuming that you’re concerns are about the rear seat whiplash protection...

This very ’aspect’ of the interior design was the topic for my very first thread on TMC.

At that time – as far as I know, or perhaps as I remember it – no one on this forum had yet received a Model S, so the following was the best answer I got from that thread:

EDIT: The video appears to shows how the gaps between the three headrests and the roofliner are too small for a head to move back into...

Hence, I laid this concern about the rear seat whiplash protection to rest.

But perhaps someone who owns a Model S would be willing to demonstrate this aspect of the interior design by either taking some illustrative photos or by making a likewise illustrative little video?

The key thing in such a demonstration would be to show how a whiplash injury would be prevented. What in the back seat will prevent a head from snapping backwards in the event of the car being rear ended?

I've never seen such a demonstration of the rear seat whiplash protection in the Model S, and I have been keeping an eye out for one…

Since you can fold the seats, I can’t really see how this could be an issue.

11. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

And since you handled my idiotic oversight of that very fact so kindly I may just have to make that video as a thank you :tongue:

12. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

#12 SwedishAdvocate, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    No worries. You own a Model S, so you’ve more than made up for it… :wink:

And I can’t say I’m not a little curious, so if you were to insist… :rolleyes:

13. wcalvin

wcalvin Member