TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rear Seat Headroom in Late 2016 Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by berkeley_ecar, Dec 29, 2016.

1. berkeley_ecar

berkeley_ecar S 90D (fully loaded) delivered 18 Mar 2017

I've just ordered a 90D, after years of waiting/planning. I've taken at least 4 test drives over the past 5 years. During my first test drive I went with friends, and spent some time riding in the rear seat. I didn't find it sumptuous, but it was comfortable (if tight on legroom), and I do not recall having headroom issues. I'm 6'3" and my height is expressed mainly in the form of long legs. I've only been interested in models with the sun roof, in large measure because of the added headroom. In my latest test drive, I remained very pleased with the front seat experience, but when I sat in the back my head contacted the rounded horizontal element of the roof structure at the back of the sunroof (it runs just inches above the headrests for the rear seats). The only work-around for me was to slouch in the seat. My conclusion is that comfort and
    safety for tall folks will be compromised in the rear seats, disappointing in such an expensive vehicle. I realize the X has much better headroom, but I'm simply not interested in the X, for multiple reasons. I do not recall having such a pronounced rear-seat headroom issue in my previous tests. I realize that the S has sported at least three different seat designs since its inception. The current headroom squeeze would be improved if the rear seats were moved forward a few inches. Others must have observed this problem -- does anyone have suggestions for remediation?

2. Frankman60

Frankman60 Member

I purchased the sunroof mainly because of the increased rear headroom after sitting in the back seat of a MS with and without a sunroof. But now that the all glass roof is an option, I believe that offers increased headroom without having to deal with the possibility of mechanical issues down the road with the sunroof. Something you might want to look into.

3. Ormond

Ormond Member

I went with the X for this very reason. Does your nearest Tesla store have examples for you to try?

4. azred

azred Member

All glass roof on my new S is the bomb for rear seat headroom. BTW, I'm also 6'3". Of course, rear leg room is bad unless front seats are pushed way up.

5. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

I'm 6' 5" and would also recommend you give the all glass roof some serious consideration. I can sit in the back of my Dec 2016 MS and don't have any critical clearance issues head-wise (don't get me wrong, it's close, but my head isn't actually TOUCHING anything in a normal seating position).

• Informative x 1
  6. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

Headroom was never good, but seems worse since they changed the back seat. I don't let anyone taller than 5' 10" sit in the back.

7. berkeley_ecar

berkeley_ecar S 90D (fully loaded) delivered 18 Mar 2017

I was referring to the sunroof version of the S, and don't see how the all-glass roof could be any better with respect to rear seat headroom, looking at the structure of the roof. I'm amazed that you don't have a problem in the reat seat, and wonder if you have the same seats as the test vehicle I was in. The 29 Dec 2016 reply from Snerruc (below) makes most sense to me. Sadly, I will only carry one other tall person in the car (in the front). Somewhat disappointing