Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Seat Heaters UI Flow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if I have been doing something wrong here, but I have been trying testing this from different angles. As it stands on the latest update, the rear seats are activated through the climate control menu. The problem here, is that there is a contingency in the UI flow to turn on the seats. I can't only turn on the rear seats without activating the AC. Every time the climate screen opens, it defaults to the first screen controlling fan speed, direction, etc. Then, I have to press the tab on top to activate the climate. I love the AC system, but sometimes I just want to keep that off while I have my windows down.

Looking for user feedback here to see if I'm not the only one experiencing this and to see if there might be a way to make the experience better.

Perhaps a touch & hold gesture on the main L / R seat can activate the respective seat behind it?

Unearthing an old thread as I completely agree with the OP. We just got the car a couple of weeks ago and it has been cold enough here now to use the seat heater. The UI for rear seat heaters is quirky. Too many touches and the side effect of AC turning on is undesirable.

My suggestion would be:
Just have one permanent seat heater icon at the bottom of the screen. When that's touched, pop up the card that shows all 5 seats for controlling each seat's heater. It would take two touches for the front seats (vs one right now), but the rear will also only take two touches and won't affect the AC. I think that would be a good way to do it, and would reduce one button at the bottom of the screen.

Unearthing an old thread as I completely agree with the OP. We just got the car a couple of weeks ago and it has been cold enough here now to use the seat heater. The UI for rear seat heaters is quirky. Too many touches and the side effect of AC turning on is undesirable.

My suggestion would be:
Just have one permanent seat heater icon at the bottom of the screen. When that's touched, pop up the card that shows all 5 seats for controlling each seat's heater. It would take two touches for the front seats (vs one right now), but the rear will also only take two touches and won't affect the AC. I think that would be a good way to do it, and would reduce one button at the bottom of the screen.

This makes a lot of sense, but some people are really against having the seat heater controls in a sub-menu, as evidenced in my thread here: Why do the front heated seat controls deserve so much room on the UI?. Seat heaters are way too important to be in a sub-menu apparently.

This makes a lot of sense, but some people are really against having the seat heater controls in a sub-menu, as evidenced in my thread here: Why do the front heated seat controls deserve so much room on the UI?. Seat heaters are way too important to be in a sub-menu apparently.

Yes, I saw that thread a couple of days ago. Apparently, you living in San Diego makes your opinion not count :)

I guess we all have our preferences. For me (and probably you), popping up a giant card with all 5 seats on first touch and then having to touch those seats as touch #2 doesn't feel like it is too deep a menu.

What irks me with the current UI is that there is no way for the rear passengers to control their seat warmers on their own, and I (the driver) has to go through 5-6 touches to turn on a rear seat heater without the AC.
1. Touch the fan button
2. Touch the seat heater tab on the card that pops up
3. Turn on the seat heater
4. Switch to the AC tab again (I think)
5. Turn off the AC

Oh, the other thing they can also do which would be better than using the touch screen is to use voice commands. Tesla has so far not exploited the immense potential there is in voice commands. Wouldn't it be so much easier to say "Turn on driver seat heater", "Turn off rear right seat heater", etc.?

Reactions: srjinatl