Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Seat Lock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw that Tesbros has the Drop-lock for the M3.

Question for Model S owners, what are your suggestions to lock the rear seats to keep them from folding down?
A3BD275F-3353-4CA8-9CC7-032B5DD3964F.jpeg

My rear seats are locked in place unless you unlatch them. What is this, a Master Lock for the rear seats? Does it come with keys, or is it a combination to unlock? :)
It’s for the older style latch, helping prevent thief from breaking rear triangular window, reaching in and unlatching seat to see what’s in trunk.

For the OP, with refresh electronic release, I would hope Tesla disables ability to unlatch seats if car is still locked. Not sure how to test that. Otherwise, there is no way to physically prevent the same type of smash and seat release.

Upvote 0
My rear seats are locked in place unless you unlatch them. What is this, a Master Lock for the rear seats? Does it come with keys, or is it a combination to unlock? :)
It’s for the M3 but I wanted to know if other MS owners have a solution to lock their seats. To remove the Droplocks fishing string needs to be put through the two holes then it can pulled up. I was thinking of using the three child seat anchors behind the seats then attach the other end near the opening of the lift gate and use a ratchet tie down to create a locked type tension.

Upvote 0
One user reported that the back seat electric button unlocks are not disabled when the car is locked. I verified this in a quick test. I was in the back seat, locked the car with the fob, and found the seats still unlockable. It could be the car detected the FOB and/or you have to wait a few minutes as the car shuts down and/or the cabin radar detected me and left it unlocked.

I've not heard of anyone making a physical lock for the older S which is offered by third parties for the M3.

Upvote 0
I have the original drop lock which Tesla service removed today when installing a new backup camera harness (finally!), and it got me to wondering if there was a better solution — like just open the seats and remove the cable and latch entirely and mount the cable release in the trunk, like it should have been all along…

Upvote 0
I don't understand this thread. The MS is a hatchback, so there is little to no purpose to locking the rear seats in the upright position since they do not stop access to the trunk.
There have been many reported incidents (especially in San Francisco / Bay Area with lots of Teslas) where thieves break the small, rear triangular glass to release / lower the seat, to view what's in the trunk. Most just ended up with broken glass that might be avoided if the seats couldn't be released.

Upvote 0
There have been many reported incidents (especially in San Francisco / Bay Area with lots of Teslas) where thieves break the small, rear triangular glass to release / lower the seat, to view what's in the trunk. Most just ended up with broken glass that might be avoided if the seats couldn't be released.
Bizarre. However, I'd suggest that a thief of this nature would not look into the car to ascertain whether the rear seats can be folded down or whether that functionality has been disabled by some means. As such, there would still be a broken window.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Upvote 0