TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rear seat pass-through

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by divesturner, Jan 10, 2017.

1. divesturner

divesturner Member

Would love to have a pass through to the trunk from the rear seat (like Audis and VWs that I remember fondly). My family of four skiers is just barely making it work with skis perched between rear headrests. Thankful that the kids are still small. Anyone know of such a surgery to the rear seats?

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

With enough money, any vehicle modification is possible. Find a skilled auto upholstery shop and get a quote.

3. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

Just an idea, but if there are only four of you couldn't you fold down the small side of the back seat, and seat two people on the other side?

4. Ruby&Red

Ruby&Red Member

I have this problem/interest too, so if you ever find a solution, please let me know. For what it is worth, I did find an after-market roof rack that works on the standard (non-pano) roof, but I hate having to take it on/off all the time and I would much prefer a simple Audi-like pass-though.

5. skitown

skitown Supporting Member

@Ruby&Red would be curious to learn more about the rack you found.

6. divesturner

divesturner Member

Possible and practical for short trips but unpleasant for a long ride. A major catalyst for kids fighting.

• Like x 1
  7. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

Why don't stop to some car dismantler in your area and try to find a used Audi back seat
    to determine if the back seat could be installed instead of the one you have.

If the seat is not as wide, you might have to build a little frame in wood to extend the edges but at least you
    don't modify your original back seat which can be put back when the sky season is over or when selling the car.

8. Ruby&Red

Ruby&Red Member

@skitown - here is a link to the rack I have:
    Otium SoftRack

It works ok, but I would rather have the skis inside because we never go up with more than 4 people. If you want to buy my rack I will sell it to you for $100.

• Informative x 1
  9. skitown

skitown Supporting Member

Thanks for the info @Ruby&Red, I'd not seen this one. Our skis are usually inside too as there's rarely more than 3 of us, including our pup! Was considering a Seasucker for the odd occasion however.