Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear seat rattle - How to fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a UK (MIC) Model 3.
I have a pretty irritating rattle sound from the rear left of the car and cannot for the life of me work out what might be causing it.

Video is here:

I do not think it's the leather as it sounds like a plastic tapping of sorts. It's not massively loud but the persistence of it (it happens just when driving, not only when going over bumps) and the high pitch nature make it VERY irritating.
Has anyone else had this and knows how to sort it?

Update: I've found the source of the rattle. Not entirely sure how to fix it though.

It's being caused by a plastic plate of sorts on the back of the seat being loose.

Now that the source has been found the easiest option is probably to take it to a service centre and tell them. Not entirely sure how to fix it myself.
The seat has a zip but seems it can't be accessed without removing it?

Maybe not your issue, but I had a tapping sound like that and it took me a couple weeks to figure out it was the rear license plate tapping against the car. I put a couple of tiny sticky--backed rubber cabinet stops under the plate frame. See if that is it. Sure sounds familiar.

Maybe not your issue, but I had a tapping sound like that and it took me a couple weeks to figure out it was the rear license plate tapping against the car. I put a couple of tiny sticky--backed rubber cabinet stops under the plate frame. See if that is it. Sure sounds familiar.
I was very tempted to improve on the baseplate design with the two puny bolts securing the upper third, but now I am getting a mid frequency hammer drill style 4-6 beat rattle when going over irregularities at highway speed. Even if not the cause, I will take off the plate holder and 3M red line double side tape the bottom portion, as now ripping off the entire assembly is a piece of cake for vandals. The latch rattle seems like a recurring theme, I will check mine too.

Last edited:
Update: I've found the source of the rattle. Not entirely sure how to fix it though.

It's being caused by a plastic plate of sorts on the back of the seat being loose.

Now that the source has been found the easiest option is probably to take it to a service centre and tell them. Not entirely sure how to fix it myself.
The seat has a zip but seems it can't be accessed without removing it?
I have the same rattle ,its been driving me bonkers , and i am sure its the same as you have discovered. Did you get the SC to fix it?

So I have a UK (MIC) Model 3.
I have a pretty irritating rattle sound from the rear left of the car and cannot for the life of me work out what might be causing it.

Video is here:

I do not think it's the leather as it sounds like a plastic tapping of sorts. It's not massively loud but the persistence of it (it happens just when driving, not only when going over bumps) and the high pitch nature make it VERY irritating.
Has anyone else had this and knows how to sort it?
I'm having the same issue. When i tap the backseat, i can also hear the plastic sound. Did you end up getting it fixed? IF so how and what did you/service do? Thanks!

There’s a hole near the latch. Stuff some thick foam tape in there. It should secure it. However, that might not the source of the rattle. I secured it and I’m still having some seat rattles.
You can also unzip the rear seat and apply foam tape on the plastic cover. That cover is the most useless thing ever that causes noises.
E2014852-F289-4154-9650-C09A72966EEF.jpeg
10B1AA0B-9C54-424E-A3ED-15864B7AA5A7.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: thebestiam1