TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rear seat will not fold - 6 month wait for repair??

Discussion in 'Model X' started by macd1995, Sep 3, 2017.

1. macd1995

macd1995 Member

Went to Tesla Service because my charge cord was faulty... however.. my right rear seat will not fold down. I brought that to the attention of Service and they said it could take 6 months to address... So I don't have full use of the trunk for 6 months. That seems crazy to me. Anyone one have this experience? I still am waiting for the items that I flagged as damaged at pick up

.... 6 months?

• Informative x 1
  2. Terthen

Terthen Member

Many including myself have had the opposite problem--seat won't fold up. Another Model X Problem!!! 3rd row seat stuck in down position.

The "repair" was to just replace the entire seat... mine took 6 weeks. I'm scared to fold the third row now especially if we know we have guests coming soon and will need the third row.

3. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

I remember the problem on delivery day. Back then, they locked the seats due to a spring loaded mechanism. Once new seats arrive, I could lower them. I hinted about the issue on January 11, 2016 in the second paragraph. Model X Frunk Strength?

4. Tiger

Tiger Member

@JonMc Escalate sh#t like this to management.

5. WolfieSenior

WolfieSenior Member

Our's had the problem with one of the rear seats being stuck in the down position. Reported it to the service center on August 4th and a replacement set of seats had arrived and was installed within 2 weeks. 6 weeks seems way to long....6 months is nuts.

6. macd1995

macd1995 Member

Thanks! Did know about this escalation path and just sent a note.

7. macd1995

macd1995 Member

Appreciate the replies. I have to say this forum is much more helpful than Tesla Model X forum. Crickets on a deeper description of the problem on that forum. I am going to follow up with my Service center as well. 6 months is really crazy.

8. Freedom101

Freedom101 Member

6 months is waaaaaaaay to long and is very unreasonable. They could build and ship you 3 brand new model X's in that time frame. Makes no sense.

I almost suspect that the service employee you spoke to is out to lunch.

• Like x 1
  9. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

My third row is scheduled for replacement next week after 6 weeks of waiting for the part.

• Informative x 1
  10. gnguyen

gnguyen Member

One of my rear seats is stuck in the down position. They told me 6-8 weeks to manufacture a new seat. Took them 20 seconds to "diagnose". Would have been better if they just decided to replace the seat over the phone instead of making me come down to the SC.

• Informative x 1
  11. alcibiades

alcibiades Member

This is terrifying info!

12. J__T

J__T Member

Mine took ~6 weeks also to arrive on the east coast for a driver side's 3rd row white seat. Hopefully Tesla is working on improving the 3rd row seats mechanism since this issue seems to be coming up more than expected.

• Informative x 1
  13. number12

number12 Active Member

Anyway to tell number of seats that have to be replaced? I hardly fold down my seat... with my luck it will break after warranty expires.

14. macd1995

macd1995 Member

This may sound crazy but.... I was told that my Seats are in and they want me to bring my car in tomorrow @ 2....? Went from 6 months to 1 week. I did "escalate" yesterday around noon, but there is no way that could have done it.... right?

Because of the confusion, a Model X loaner will be made available. I can't tell if this great service or just bad info from initial rep. 1 week would exceed my expectations.

• Like x 1
  15. Freedom101

Freedom101 Member

I suspect it is this.

Although 1 week is the other extreme and shouldn't be expected, six months just makes no sense on any level.

Congrats and I'm glad it worked out for you.

Mike

16. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Had that same problem (and read that thread). Wife folded down the seat from the trunk when loading things in and didn't realize something was on it.

We ended up fighting to get the pool dart that was stuck on the seat out, then pressed down to fully latch. Seat works again and everyone knows better than to fold it down without double-checking the seat.