Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Seats - Not Aligned on Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before (Delivery Date June 25th - VIN 18XXX)
ACE99073-DDBD-4F19-8236-B7944CB2ECA8.jpeg
after (Fixed on July 20th) - I can no longer see the black fabric
2C3A4974-886C-41E7-AE5C-FA4BA3A092F9.jpeg

If this is helpful to anyone, my invoice notes mention: Followed Tesla service bulletin to fix seat height in accordance with Tesla standards. Seat height variation is now with in official specifications.
Correction: Interior Component/Trim/Seal Adjustment - Medium

• Helpful
Reactions: Za_c and brinox
View attachment 567271
View attachment 567275

If this is helpful to anyone, my invoice notes mention: Followed Tesla service bulletin to fix seat height in accordance with Tesla standards. Seat height variation is now with in official specifications.
Were you having problems with the buttons before the fix? If so did the repair fix them also?

View attachment 567271
View attachment 567275

Maybe it’s just me as the angle on the pics aren’t exactly the same but it looks like they just changed the seat recline on the right side and it lined up better. Mine looked pretty much the same before and after when I did that. As I understand it the seats bolt together as a unit and there’s actually no adjustment, but other’s posts seem to confirm this. In the end, as long as you’re good with it that’s all that matters, enjoy it’s a great car .

Maybe it’s just me as the angle on the pics aren’t exactly the same but it looks like they just changed the seat recline on the right side and it lined up better. Mine looked pretty much the same before and after when I did that. As I understand it the seats bolt together as a unit and there’s actually no adjustment, but other’s posts seem to confirm this. In the end, as long as you’re good with it that’s all that matters, enjoy it’s a great car .

Fremont service center told me to just recline the seats back, so I would not put it past them that they just reclined the seats back and said its fixed.

• Funny
Reactions: Reborn and raggedy
E33742C6-84B3-4ED4-8842-CEC2C5CB9D6E.jpeg 9A8C3065-C3BC-4BCF-9DDF-4BB21A64C5C7.jpeg
Took some pics trying to mimic the same angle. When I took delivery I noticed reclining the seats did “improve” the alignment but now I no longer need to recline the seats.

Were you having problems with the buttons before the fix? If so did the repair fix them also?

After seeing this question I actually went to use the trunk levers to fold the seats down and they no longer fall with ease. The adjusted seat is now too close to the middle seat, restricting it from folding after the mechanism unhinges/unlocks. The temporary fix is to have the standalone seat fold down first and then the other two seats are free to fold once the standalone seat is no longer upright and restricting movement. If I pull the trunk levers the other way around (left+middle seat lever and then right standalone seat lever) all three seats come down at the same time. Previously, the seats and levers worked as intended without any issues or adjustments.

I hope that made some sort of sense. I’m still very newbie when it comes to describing car issues and “features”

After seeing this question I actually went to use the trunk levers to fold the seats down and they no longer fall with ease. The adjusted seat is now too close to the middle seat, restricting it from folding after the mechanism unhinges/unlocks. The temporary fix is to have the standalone seat fold down first and then the other two seats are free to fold once the standalone seat is no longer upright and restricting movement. If I pull the trunk levers the other way around (left+middle seat lever and then right standalone seat lever) all three seats come down at the same time. Previously, the seats and levers worked as intended without any issues or adjustments.

I hope that made some sort of sense. I’m still very newbie when it comes to describing car issues and “features”
Perfectly, thanks for the heads up..

My Model Y (VIN under 10000) is back for my third service appointment, and this time they are finally supposed fix the rear seat alignment. No issues with rear seats folding from hatchback controls before this fix. Let's hope that they are aligned and that the seats fold own properly after my service appointment.

I had my Y in for service today - first service from pickup where they promise to fix the stuff they shouldn't have delivered the car with. Anyway -- on the list was rear seat issue -- and I got a new twist. You see - the seat is at a different height because owners were complaining of the rubbing material causing a noise in back of the cabin (I believe this is true) - so Tesla created this 'fix' where the seats are staggered and there is a slight gap so that - the noise subsides AND so that the seats go down easily via the buttons. They could FIX the seats - but the noise will probably come back BUT there is a fix for that too! For $500 they change the 'pleather' to a. new skin which does not create the noise. That boys and girls is what the SA told me today who is a great guy by the way and has helped out in other ways. Just offering. I told him not to fix the seat at this point...

For $500 they change the 'pleather' to a. new skin which does not create the noise. That boys and girls is what the SA told me today ...
Was he intimating that the customer would be responsible to pay the $500 charge?
I know Tesla uses their messed up "Due Bill" system where repair charges are generated, but once it's established the repair is covered under warranty the charges are "paid" by Tesla. Could there be some sort of miscommunication going on here? Was the $500 Due Bill to be covered under warranty?

It's disappointing to hear that the seats were staggered so that they will collapse. I just took my car into service because the seats were so close together the button would not release them and they had to be laid flat by hand. I'll check to see if my seats come back intentionally misaligned so that they can fold flat.

I had my Y in for service today - first service from pickup where they promise to fix the stuff they shouldn't have delivered the car with. Anyway -- on the list was rear seat issue -- and I got a new twist. You see - the seat is at a different height because owners were complaining of the rubbing material causing a noise in back of the cabin (I believe this is true) - so Tesla created this 'fix' where the seats are staggered and there is a slight gap so that - the noise subsides AND so that the seats go down easily via the buttons. They could FIX the seats - but the noise will probably come back BUT there is a fix for that too! For $500 they change the 'pleather' to a. new skin which does not create the noise. That boys and girls is what the SA told me today who is a great guy by the way and has helped out in other ways. Just offering. I told him not to fix the seat at this point...

This is, not only a completely unacceptable fix, but a ridiculous reasoning on Tesla's part to give to their customer. This is the type of fix on a 25K car, not a car that we are paying upwards of 50K for. I will update once may car is back from Tesla service. The thumbs down is not for your comment but for the reasoning that you were given by Tesla.

I have a brand-new Model Y and have been reading the forums on this issue. Some people say "its normal" and others say it can be fixed. Where do we stand?

The back fabric is perfectly aligned. However the right-rear seat back is higher than the left & middle seat backs. Even if I recline it all the way back, its still higher.

Is this something Mobile Service can fix?

I have a brand-new Model Y and have been reading the forums on this issue. Some people say "its normal" and others say it can be fixed. Where do we stand?

The back fabric is perfectly aligned. However the right-rear seat back is higher than the left & middle seat backs. Even if I recline it all the way back, its still higher.

Is this something Mobile Service can fix?

Mine is like that too (2 weeks old). I noticed it at delivery and since we had some extra time waiting for the SA, I walked around to all the other Ys sitting on the delivery lot and every single one was like that also!

Mine is like that too (2 weeks old). I noticed it at delivery and since we had some extra time waiting for the SA, I walked around to all the other Ys sitting on the delivery lot and every single one was like that also!

Interesting. I wonder if that's there "fix" for early models to flipping down with the switch. Mine flip down perfectly, and the motor is pretty powerful! But you think they would have adjusted the material height so it doesn't look so bad!

So wanted to provide an update. Got mine fixed! Well, partially.

The trick is to put spacers under the left 2 seats to raise them to match the right seat. My service advisor said there was instructions in the system on how they can do this.

Verticle now matched. However there’s now a small gap in between the seats and the rear isn’t fully flush.

Overall better than before but still not perfect. It does push down just fine with the buttons. So try at your own risk!