Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Seats Not Detecting Child in Car Seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is supposed to be a weight sensor, that is how it knows to turn the seat belt warning light on if it senses weight but the seat belt is not clicked in.

To follow up on my issue, tech said he was able to get the other side of the seat to register but he had to almost jump up and down to get the one under the car seat to register so he thinks the sensor is faulty. The sensors are not field changeable so the solution is to replace the whole seat bottom. I'd recommend creating a service request to have them check your seat out for proper functionality.

Any updates? I am having the same issue. Depending upon position of car seat the child is not detected. I have 2 car seats with both kids over 34 pounds. Neither is detected. But if I move the seat out of the middle sometimes it works. I brought the Y into the SC and they said that without car seats both seats functioned properly and the AC turned on. They said they can't help with why it doesn't work with car seat installed.

They replaced the seat but same problem. It’ll detect a case of wine at 40# on the drivers or middle rear seat but the car seat isn’t detected for some reason.
Which car seat are you using? I'm using a Britax Pioneer Click-Tight, which has a flat bottom, which makes it so it distributes the weight evenly across the seat. I've never had a problem with the occupant detectors. On a plus side, I really like the click-tight mechanism to fasten the thing to your seatbelts. Much more secure than any other system I've seen. On a side note, for those using the Latch Connectors, please be aware that many vehicles have their own weight restrictions on the latch anchors. I've seen some vehicles say in the owners manual that they have a 50 or 55 pound weight limit, including the weight of the car seats... Many convertible car seats can weigh 30 pounds, so you can do the math...

Reactions: VikH
Which car seat are you using? I'm using a Britax Pioneer Click-Tight, which has a flat bottom, which makes it so it distributes the weight evenly across the seat. I've never had a problem with the occupant detectors. On a plus side, I really like the click-tight mechanism to fasten the thing to your seatbelts. Much more secure than any other system I've seen. On a side note, for those using the Latch Connectors, please be aware that many vehicles have their own weight restrictions on the latch anchors. I've seen some vehicles say in the owners manual that they have a 50 or 55 pound weight limit, including the weight of the car seats... Many convertible car seats can weigh 30 pounds, so you can do the math...
It’s a Graco infant car seat base. The issue is my M3 detects it no problem, the MY does not. There seems to be something different with the Y seat bottom.

What’s the latch limit in the Y?

I fixed it by switching from the latch to the seat belts. For some reason this causes better detection. Luckily my car seats and child ages allowed me to chose either one.

But definitely a design flaw with an easy fix. They need a way to manually enable car seat mode that auto turns on the rear vents.

I fixed it by switching from the latch to the seat belts. For some reason this causes better detection. Luckily my car seats and child ages allowed me to chose either one.

But definitely a design flaw with an easy fix. They need a way to manually enable car seat mode that auto turns on the rear vents.
On mine a few days ago, one of my passengers accidentally undid the belt for my child seat. Only reason I knew, is that I got an "unfastened seat belt" warning for my daughter, which I've never seen before... When I went to investigate, that's when I realized someone unfastened her seatbelt. This leads me to believe that when you are near the upper weight limit of the latch (including child seat), the car will expect you to use the seatbelts and not the latch? As my daughter and her carseat, would still squeak by the latch weight limit, so the fact that the car throws an unfastensed seatbelt warning, implies the car thinks she should be wearing a seatbelt. The car cannot detect if you connect anything to the latch. I know this, becuase my son is sitting in a backless booster seat, that uses the latch to keep the booster from sliding. If he sits in his booster, with latch attached, but without seatbelts fastened, I get an unfastened seatbelt warning for him.