TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear Spindle Knuckle

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Warren-RB, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Warren-RB

Warren-RB Member

Does anyone know if the rear spindle has been changed (different offset?) around end of 2014 when the rear emergency brake was changed from the hand operated cable to electrical mechanical one.

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks

2. scottm

scottm Active Member

I don't think the car ever had a hand operated cable for parking brake / emergency brake.

The parking brake calipers have always been separate from the main rear calipers, and the parking brake has always been an electrically actuated caliper.

Are you confusing this with the change made from hydraulically actuated main brake calipers (like my car has) to electrically actuated main brake calipers (which I think all auto-pilot cars have)?

What's up with the rear spindle question? Bearings ?

3. Warren-RB

Warren-RB Member

Thanks for the reply. We just want to verify the rear spindles have two versions w/different offset and pin point the exact number of the other one to correct our hat offset.

Reason I am asking is we have just shipped a rear CCM brake kit which is designed for the S model, but customer claimed the rotor offset is too deep and didn't fit his spindle (P90 w/4 wheel drive)

[​IMG]

This leads us to believe there was a change on REAR spindle (in offset) in order to accommodate this new e-brake.