TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear spoiler ?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by cmc5dc, May 30, 2016.

1. cmc5dc

cmc5dc Member

When parked my spoiler does not retract. Anybody else have this problem and what is the solution?

• Helpful x 1
  2. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

If you have an active spoiler, check in the settings if it is set to Automatic.

3. Maaz

Maaz Member

4. Phil Seastrand

90D was never supposed to have an active spoiler. It only comes with the Performance option. However, early 90D's received the active spoiler anyway due to manufacturing efficiencies.

5. cmc5dc

cmc5dc Member

I don't have this option in setting. So the spoiler is supposed to be up all the time?

6. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

Yes that means you don't have an active spoiler and so the spoiler on your MX will remain deployed.

7. Softwizard

Softwizard Member

I have a 90D and was one of the "lucky" ones who got an active spoiler. I note that after the last firmware (now 2.20.45) update, the spoiler does not retrack when I walk away from the car. The mirrors still fold in and the car locks, but the spoiler stays up. I checked the Settings and my Spoiler is set for Automatic.

• Helpful x 1
  8. CaliX

CaliX Member

Mine does that sometimes just unlock and re-lock your X and it will go down again.

9. Softwizard

Softwizard Member

Thanx. I tried that and it didn't go down.

10. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

@cmc5dc - What are the last 4 digits of your VIN (you can X out the last 2 if you're worried about privacy) and when did you take delivery?

@Softwizard - It has been postulated that Tesla may at some point disable the active spoilers on the 90D's. I would imagine they would simply remove the ability to change the settings for it though. Anyway, I hope you can get it working again!

11. McManX

McManX Member

My 90D with active spoiler still goes down / is active with this new update.

• Like x 3
    • Dislike x 1
  12. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

I can't imagine why Tesla would disable the active ones. Glad to hear yours still works!

• Like x 1
  13. CaliX

CaliX Member

14. CaliX

CaliX Member

#14 CaliX, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
    Can anyone confirm if they are retracting or not?

I would think with all the issues we've had to put up with these early builds they would leave them active. If mine gets deactivated I am going to ask them to replace it with a fixed one.

I hate the exposed large screw attachments.

15. grommet

grommet Member

Let's clarify: There are only two spoiler designs.

One is Active, and has servos that can move it from hidden to fully deployed: 3 positions total. It is supposed to only be on P trim cars, but most non-P received it as well... until somewhat recently.

The other is Fixed, for non-P cars. It's not mechanical; it can't be moved. It stays up and doesn't move.

Tesla isn't going to disable the Active Spoiler later if you happen to have a non-P with it. If it stops working or acts erratically, it's broken. Get it fixed.

16. CaliX

CaliX Member

I hope you are right. I am fine if it just goes up and down and doesn't dip at 45. I just like it down when it is parked so I don't have to see the large screw attachments. Which from the photo's I have seen the fixed ones don't have.

17. commasign

commasign Active Member

90D with active spoiler. Updated to the .45 firmware last night. Spoiler still retracts when locked.

18. CaliX

CaliX Member

Thank you!

19. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

@Softwizard - I have a 90D and I did the software update yesterday. The spoiler is still active on mine. As soon as the key fob comes in range, the spoiler went up and when I locked the car it went down.
    If you have tried rebooting and it didn't fix it talk to your SC. I wouldn't expect TM to change the active spoilers to fixed. They don't gain anything other than customer angst.

20. Softwizard

Softwizard Member

It seems to have a mind of its own... I just went out to check on it in the garage and it is down now. However, earlier today driving around, each time I stopped and got out of the MX and walked away, it did not retract despite the doors closing and mirrors folding.

I never had any problems prior to .45 - although I've only had the car since 18-April. It IS plugged in now, so I wonder if that had something to do with it.