Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear spoiler ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When parked my spoiler does not retract. Anybody else have this problem and what is the solution?
I have a 90D and was one of the "lucky" ones who got an active spoiler. I note that after the last firmware (now 2.20.45) update, the spoiler does not retrack when I walk away from the car. The mirrors still fold in and the car locks, but the spoiler stays up. I checked the Settings and my Spoiler is set for Automatic.

• Helpful
Reactions: peteyswift
I have a 90D and was one of the "lucky" ones who got an active spoiler. I note that after the last firmware (now 2.20.45) update, the spoiler does not retrack when I walk away from the car. The mirrors still fold in and the car locks, but the spoiler stays up. I checked the Settings and my Spoiler is set for Automatic.

Mine does that sometimes just unlock and re-lock your X and it will go down again.

@cmc5dc - What are the last 4 digits of your VIN (you can X out the last 2 if you're worried about privacy) and when did you take delivery?

@Softwizard - It has been postulated that Tesla may at some point disable the active spoilers on the 90D's. I would imagine they would simply remove the ability to change the settings for it though. Anyway, I hope you can get it working again!

Can anyone confirm if they are retracting or not?

I would think with all the issues we've had to put up with these early builds they would leave them active. If mine gets deactivated I am going to ask them to replace it with a fixed one.

I hate the exposed large screw attachments.

Last edited:
Let's clarify: There are only two spoiler designs.

One is Active, and has servos that can move it from hidden to fully deployed: 3 positions total. It is supposed to only be on P trim cars, but most non-P received it as well... until somewhat recently.

The other is Fixed, for non-P cars. It's not mechanical; it can't be moved. It stays up and doesn't move.

Tesla isn't going to disable the Active Spoiler later if you happen to have a non-P with it. If it stops working or acts erratically, it's broken. Get it fixed.

Let's clarify: There are only two spoiler designs.

One is Active, and has servos that can move it from hidden to fully deployed: 3 positions total. It is supposed to only be on P trim cars, but most non-P received it as well... until somewhat recently.

The other is Fixed, for non-P cars. It's not mechanical; it can't be moved. It stays up and doesn't move.

Tesla isn't going to disable the Active Spoiler later if you happen to have a non-P with it. If it stops working or acts erratically, it's broken. Get it fixed.

I hope you are right. I am fine if it just goes up and down and doesn't dip at 45. I just like it down when it is parked so I don't have to see the large screw attachments. Which from the photo's I have seen the fixed ones don't have.

Can anyone confirm if they are retracting or not?

I would think with all the issues we've had to put up with these early builds they would leave them active. If mine gets deactivated I am going to ask them to replace it with a fixed one.

I hate the exposed large screw attachments.

90D with active spoiler. Updated to the .45 firmware last night. Spoiler still retracts when locked.

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl
@Softwizard - I have a 90D and I did the software update yesterday. The spoiler is still active on mine. As soon as the key fob comes in range, the spoiler went up and when I locked the car it went down.
If you have tried rebooting and it didn't fix it talk to your SC. I wouldn't expect TM to change the active spoilers to fixed. They don't gain anything other than customer angst.

It seems to have a mind of its own... I just went out to check on it in the garage and it is down now. However, earlier today driving around, each time I stopped and got out of the MX and walked away, it did not retract despite the doors closing and mirrors folding.

I never had any problems prior to .45 - although I've only had the car since 18-April. It IS plugged in now, so I wonder if that had something to do with it.