TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear sunshade from Tesla -- creases....

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Argelius, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Argelius

Argelius Member

I got the rear sunshade from Tesla which I generally like -- easy to install, hides stuff in trunk, reduces glare, etc.

I've had it in place for about a week now and there are still creases in the shade from how it was folded/collapsed. The creases are quite visible via the rear-view mirror, which is sort of distracting.

Anyone else experience this? I suppose I can try removing it and using a warm iron on it...

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Depending on the material you might want to consider steaming it instead of risking an iron, even on warm.

3. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

Mine had creases for a few weeks, but after the car was siting in the sun for a few days, they are all gone.

4. Argelius

Argelius Member

Thanks. In Chicago, we don't have sunshine... :wink:

5. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Just moved from Chicago to CA, can confirm.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

On mine, the creases went away in a few days (3-4). No biggie, but they should really put a notification in the packaging that tells you that.

7. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

exactly my experience

8. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

Then why do you need a sunshade? :tongue:

9. Reed

Reed Member

I haven't noticed any creases but that is probably because when I picked it up at the SC it was not folded up. I assume if you have it shipped it would need to be folded.

Has anyone noticed the fabric being a little wavy in spots? Looks like it almost isn't sitting perfectly and there is slightly extra material??? I will try taking it out and reseating it in the window. Overall, I am happy with the shade and my son complains less about the sun being too bright.

10. Argelius

Argelius Member

Well, it looks like with a little sunshine and a freakish day with highs in the 50s, my creases have resolved. Yay. And Reed -- I have the same thing,with a little "wave" of extra material. I think because this thing is an aftermarket (albeit OEM) shade, it will never fit 100% perfectly.

11. jerry33

Yes, there are a couple of small waves on mine.

12. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

That is too bad, my Windesa Sonniboy rear door and window shades were perfect from day one, too bad
    the MS rear windows don't sit on a frame, I will have to tint the rear quarters.

13. WMAC

WMAC Member

What's the benefit of doing this vs. tint?

14. jerry33

It's easier (and cheaper) to replace the shades when they start looking ratty. I never tinted mine because all the cars I've sat in with tinted windows looked really bad up close (where the tint had scratches and chips out.)

15. WMAC

WMAC Member

I'm considering using this instead of tinting my rear window. I'll still tint the sides and windshield. Does it block 90+% of UV?

16. jerry33

The glass itself is very UV opaque. You can test this if you have glasses that change with UV. They don't darken looking through the glass. I don't have the side screens, only the top and hatch ones. Those are just mesh, not a film.

17. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

#17 Kandiru, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    +1, the UV sales pitch is useless, glass itself does it.

The more important point is heat protection, the pano roof apparently is coated in 3M Crystalline, but I may be wrong.

Also cops love to see faces, the other day in the ER two staties agreed that your chances of gettting pulled over just about double with tint, especially if an APB is out in the area. Night driving with tint on windshield and front windows results in further reduction of visibility, so I never tint front, besides I love my Oceanus polarizing sunglasses.

18. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

I'm curious if other S owners who have the rear sunshade drive with it all the time or only use it when car is parked outdoors?

19. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

I leave it in all the time. As someone else said in a different thread, it's a bit like looking through a screen door: you quickly get used to it and can see through it just fine.

20. jerry33

All the time. It's great for reducing the glare from the misaligned headlights on the vehicle behind you.