Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Suspension clunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of MY LR AWD on 9/2. at about 900 miles now. It wasn't there at delivery, but since then, right rear suspension has been increasingly clunking like mad on even the smallest of road imperfections. I have a SC appointment scheduled for the 7th, but the sound keeps getting more and more frequent and it's loud. Like all Tesla owners, I end up showing off my new beauty to everyone I know, but even these people are noticing the noise as it would take the radio at 50% or better volume to drown it out. I have personally looked at it on a lift and everything looks good to me (i'm no mechanic) but it sounds like something is loose and shifting when I drive. All other corners are whisper quiet, so I know it should be just the same.

I have tried reaching out to see if I can drop off sooner, but SC's are a burden to get a hold of directly. I will keep updating this to let you all know what is found, but it has me nervous as heck about driving until it gets looked at.

I did find that thread before I posted. I was hopeful that I could find something.

I spent two days trying to contact SC service team and finally got through yesterday. I explained my problems and they slotted me in right away. Drove to SC and they asked if I would be comfortable riding with the tech to identify the sound. We didn't even make it out of the parking lot before he says, "yeah this is f******." and he turned it right around. Walked inside and he told the advisor that it was definitely a suspension problem.

They loaned me an old p85+ S that has seen better days. Poor thing is months behind on updates. I got it linked to my wifi to help it out hahaha. Will keep this updated.

Reactions: Jamezam
so I got my vehicle back from the SC.

"Technician performed a test drive and verified the noise of concern. Inspected the rear suspension components and the right hand lower strut mount bolt was under torqued. Torqued bolt to specification and verified the left hand lower strut mount bolt was torqued to specification. Performed an additional test drive following repairs and verified no abnormal noises are present at this time."

Talked directly to the tech an he said it was about half a twist from falling out. Left wasn't to spec, but he fixed it. Was only a few lbs off. MY is quite quiet now.