Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #27 is available now with topics time-stamped. We discussed: Consolidation in LiDAR manufacturers; Volvo EX90 shipping with LiDAR; FSD Beta Full Release in N.A.; FSD detecting autopilot cheats, Gwen Shotwell directly overseeing SpaceX Starship; and more. You can watch it now on YouTube. We should have it published to podcast networks shortly.

Rear Suspension Rattle Solved

For a while now, I've had a clunky ratter originating from the area of the top of the right rear strut. Bolts were torqued and nothing obvious. Trip finally to SC. My suggestions, 1 of 3 1: improper torque of top of strut, 2 movement in suspension and being heard at top of strut or 3: Top cross beam on rear deck (in which case since it's welded just live with it). My main concern was not something loosening up in the suspension. The SC knew where every bump in the area was. Preliminary things checked are the rear hatch adjusting bolts (another post covers that in detail). I adjusted one side to even the hatch but no change. I did hear a minor rattle from the split rear seat U bolt when one side of seat down so added those felt pads placed on the bottom of chairs on hardwood floors. One one each side of each U bolt and that rattle cured but still had suspension issue. SC found bushings worn on sway bar causing +/- 5 inch play. Replaced sway bar. No change. Then they swapped the rear struts and the rattle went left rear. Tech laid down in trunk placed hand on both struts and felt rattle on left side. Replaced strut noise GONE! I would have like to check the sway bar bushings to see if worn more on one side than the other to see if the strut caused the bushings to wear but regardless both needed attention. 26K miles. I post this for others troubleshooting similar issues.

Last edited:

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC