Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear tail light assembly - repair or replace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - my wife noticed, while driving behind me, that some of the running light segments surrounding the liftgate tail light assemblies were burned out:

1641399172627.png

I see from the parts catalog that this is the Liftgate Tail Lamp Assembly, p/n 6005924-00-E, and available over the counter.

1641399244065.png

Question - does anyone know if the individual segment lights are replaceable? Or better to just order a new one? Similar on left side as well. 2015 P85D.

thanks! Adam

I'm pretty sure they are probably soldered LEDs on a board and not easily replaceable unless you plan to crack open the light housing and do all that work to replace each LED. Prob easier and cheaper to replace with new housing.

• Informative
Reactions: ayavner
i have the same problem, i have a replacement unit but disasembling the trunk is not super clear so ive held off. you can get to 2/3 bolts that hold this in place but to get to the 3rd you need to remove the trunk paneling. otherwise looks plug and play very very simple. buy it from a salvage yard.

I have had mine replaced under warranty (a fly was inside the lens) and they had to replace the entire assembly, both sides (right and left), including the chrome applique that spans both sides. They told me it was all one piece. Pissed me off because I had a Chrome delete and had to have the chrome blacked out again. Not a great design.

The chrome appliqué does have to come off, and my understanding is it’s glued on and very difficult to remove without destroying it, so Tesla treats it as basically a consumable part.
A bit late to this conversation but... No. You just heat the part of the appliqué that is glued to the tail light with a dryer, and then you use dental floss to separate the light from the appliqué. To glue the appliqué back again once you have replaced the tail light, you need to buy the right sticker. I got mine from the service center and it costs under $2. P/N in the Tesla catalog.

Actually the service manual that is around explains how to do it, but you can find on youtube many videos of people that found an easier way (provided your arm is not very thick). See for instance:

Applique tape 1021608-00-B for anyone keeping track.

What is the best way to order parts from the parts catalog? Just rock up to the SC and hope they have the part? Or open a service request and just explain in the notes you just want the parts? Since I am out of warranty, and the above video exists, I think I can give this a go.

I looked on ebay and most of what's out there is pretty rough... anywhere else I might look?

I just picked a tail light up from my service center. $230 for the half on the trunk lid. And I asked about the tape cutout but they just said to use double sided tape. I wish I had had the part number to show him.