Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Tail Light Connector/Harness (3-Pin to 4-Pin)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, finally got my 2022 MYP and was excited to install some aftermarket rear lights but upon looking at the harness I noticed that the later years seem to have changed the harness from a 3-pin to 4-pin connector. The aftermarket rear lights are 3-pin like my older Tesla (2020) and therefore won't fit/connect. Does anyone know if there's a 3-pin to 4-pin harness kit for such a situation so that I can continue to use my existing after market lights? If needed, I can take a picture of the harness for reference but it does not fit regardless of whether you try to flip the connector or not. Any help/insight is appreciated. Thank you!

Also interested.

I’d like to have the amber turn signals but I have the old 2020 3pin connectors.

If/when I get new stock (Tesla) taillights w amber turns, they are not plug and play unless there is some (soon to be created) 3pin to 4pin adapter.

I am sure a lot of folks will be interested in this conversion harness. However, without someone with serious electrical engineering background, the harness will be rather difficult to produce. Here's why.

The 3-pin setup has a positive, ground and signal wire connections. The signal wire has 2 alternating input feeds from the main computer, depending on whether or not you are just signaling or signaling + braking. There has to be a controller board of some kind to distinguish and separate the two input feeds from the main computer into the 4-pin/wire adapter.

With that said, I think it will be cost-prohibitive for most folks to just have the amber turn signals. Long time ago when I was running my BMW e60, there was a huge demand of a similar type of conversion cable to upgrade the tail lights to the newer CAN BUS LED module. Someone came up with the cable that worked without throwing errors on the dashboard for $500 but the cost to upgrade the lights ended up in the $1500 range including the new lights. That may not sound like a lot now but back in 2008, it was a pretty penny.

My 2 cents. You will rarely see the tall lights for yourself so where's the ROI value proposition? :rolleyes:

Reactions: 52 16 57 39
Also interested.

I’d like to have the amber turn signals but I have the old 2020 3pin connectors.

If/when I get new stock (Tesla) taillights w amber turns, they are not plug and play unless there is some (soon to be created) 3pin to 4pin adapter

I think you are looking for this:

https://www.amazon.com/Amber-Lights...sprefix=tesla+mode+3+tail+ligh,aps,237&sr=8-9

You can also check out this thread for the entire discussion about this adapter

Tail Light Retrofit- AMBER turn signal