Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Tire Wear - Uberturbine 21" - MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This tire and upper control arm are from the right rear of a 2020 MYLR. It's my wife's car and is driven somewhat conservatively. No racing and no off-roading. This tire has 14K miles, but all of the wear cuts through the cord on the inside of the tire. I did a rough camber check and I think it's about -3 degrees, assuming my garage floor is level. Regardless, the negative camber is obvious visually. Shockingly, the upper control arm mount appears bent and shows signs of stress fractures/cracking. The arm itself appears OK. Our alignment appointment is in 16 days. Are there any experts that have advice on how to deal with this? I'm considering the aftermarket adjustable control arms, but want to make sure the mount is OK first.View attachment 874183View attachment 874184
View attachment 874182
I agree, it looks like there may have been some sort of impact involved causing the mount to bend and paint to flake. I say that assuming that a bend caused the paint to flake like that... but I can't really see if anything is bent in the photos. You seemed to have confirmed it but yeah, probably tons of camber. I'd get it to a good place (you might trust the tesla Service Center... I don't know if I would trust mine) that can tell you if anything is damaged, address any damage if needed, then get some adjustable arms if needed.

I myself am going to order some arms today from MPP.... and yes, will likely upsize tires the next go around to fit the wheels better.

Last edited:
This tire and upper control arm are from the right rear of a 2020 MYLR. It's my wife's car and is driven somewhat conservatively. No racing and no off-roading. This tire has 14K miles, but all of the wear cuts through the cord on the inside of the tire. I did a rough camber check and I think it's about -3 degrees, assuming my garage floor is level. Regardless, the negative camber is obvious visually. Shockingly, the upper control arm mount appears bent and shows signs of stress fractures/cracking. The arm itself appears OK. Our alignment appointment is in 16 days. Are there any experts that have advice on how to deal with this? I'm considering the aftermarket adjustable control arms, but want to make sure the mount is OK first.View attachment 874183View attachment 874184
View attachment 874182
Any news on this one? I'm genuinely curious what the shop found and where you took it. I still haven't installed the arms from MPP (which look awesome BTW)

Interesting Development, My dad who also has a MYP went to his local alignment shop to get his checked and they told him they got a letter from tesla forbidding them in install aftermarket arms and do an alignment. Has anybody heard about that?

Interesting Development, My dad who also has a MYP went to his local alignment shop to get his checked and they told him they got a letter from tesla forbidding them in install aftermarket arms and do an alignment. Has anybody heard about that?
Unless the alignment shop was owned by Tesla, I highly doubt that's how the letter read. That shop gave your Dad some bad (or false, or made-up) info.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Well it seems like Firestone may do it tomorrow. I installed the arms this evening with the bolts torques to 95 lb-ft per MPP Instructions. Jacked up the rear evenly and both arms went on and off super easy. With the new arms I'm measuring about 1.1 neg camber on each rear wheel so I assume it's now toe'd in a bit.
IMG-0779.jpg
IMG-0780.jpg
IMG-0778.jpg
IMG-0778.jpg

Reactions: ArizonaFish
Any news on this one? I'm genuinely curious what the shop found and where you took it. I still haven't installed the arms from MPP (which look awesome BTW)
The camber was way off and it also had significant toe out on the right rear wheel. The company was a real pain to work with through the app, but once I had it towed in to their service center, they looked at it right away. It did require a new sub-frame and they would not pay. So, it cost us almost $2300, but that did include tax and a new 4-wheel alignment. They also relaced the corresponding upper aft link, which I believe is the control/camber arm. The alignment spec sheet seems to indicate that all is within limits. Aside from Tire Rack offering us 2 tires for the price of 1 ($383 w/ tax), it was a very negative experience. This carmaker is NOT set up for good customer service.

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
How'd you get a deal from tire rack? Bummed it was such a negative experience for you but at least you got it sorted out.

I finally got ours aligned with the camber arms and am in the middle of the spec now for the rear. Firestone was happy to do the job and seemed to know what was up as opposed to another local shop that put up all the barriers as soon as I asked if they could align a tesla.

here are my new numbers for posterity:

1670867222710.png

Reactions: fiehlsport