Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear tires for the P85+ with 21x9 rears -- Michelin, Dunlop or Continental?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only replaced the rears as mine original PS2s (rear driver side) developed a damm sidewall bubble. I saw others installing 275/35 (Conti 5Ps) in the rear so I went with them and so far been great with the handling and the looks. I did not notice any larger sizes available for the fronts that could work, at least not yet.

Also, I went back to the same (Tire Rack) installer recently to conduct a proper alignment, to minimize the rear wear issue.

Super disappointed. I checked with Michelin again today on the availability of the Pilot Super Sport in 265/35/21 size and they said "While looking up the tire I see the production is being pushed back and now the re-schedule launch date is until Oct. of 2017. I apologize."

Super disappointed. I checked with Michelin again today on the availability of the Pilot Super Sport in 265/35/21 size and they said "While looking up the tire I see the production is being pushed back and now the re-schedule launch date is until Oct. of 2017. I apologize."

Thanks for the update!
I was waiting for the PSS as well, so the October 2017 estimate will give us the opportunity to squeeze at least one more PS2 set in, the way they are being eaten up.:(

Well, this is unpleasant. Just confirmed with TireRack the same. I have 245/35 PSS's on the front of my P85+, and 265 PS2's on the rear in need of replacement. The PSS is just so much better than the PS2's I'm considering putting 245's on the rear until the 265's are available. Looks like the 285/30 PSS is the same diameter but probably a little wide for the stock 9" wheel. Has anyone mounted the 285 PSS on the stock wheel? Only +20mm, thinking might be worth a try to see if it would fit.

I had the same thought of using 385/30 PSS tires on the rear of my P85+, however 20mm is almost 3/4 of an inch and I'm afraid the wider tires might suffer even more from the excessive negative camber. Looks like I'll have to settle for at least one more set of the PS2's.

Interesting feedback on the production delay. I have seen several refreshed Ss with PSSs (say that 10 times fast...)

I have my next S on order. The fact that I can get a staggered PSS setup on a 90D makes me want to scale back from a P.
IMG_2179.JPG
IMG_2181.JPG
IMG_2183.JPG

^^^ I'll give 500 bucks a piece for those rear tires ^^^ So jealous.

Still have the open question, it's only 20mm wider, has anyone put a 285/30zr21 or 285/35zr21 (both available sizes in the PSS) on the stock 9 inch rim? Also could go down to 20's on Axis MS and open up the options a TON.

Need to place order for tires in the next week so it's either 20's, 245's on the staggered rear 9" or trying the 285's on 9". Torn and conflicted...

Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 8.37.42 PM.png

I've had 275's on the rear of my P85+ with no ill effects, it actually looked really good and drove amazing. I'm curious if 285's would fit, my tire guy said yes it will... Not sure though. That is 20mm wider, I'm VERY curious what it would look like. I had 10mm wider with the 275's. I can't imagine another 10mm (which is just 5mm on both sides) haven any profound impact. (Oh and only do the 35's as the 30's would be way too aggressive I think. )Maybe less range?

Still have the open question, it's only 20mm wider, has anyone put a 285/30zr21 or 285/35zr21 (both available sizes in the PSS) on the stock 9 inch rim? Also could go down to 20's on Axis MS and open up the options a TON.

Need to place order for tires in the next week so it's either 20's, 245's on the staggered rear 9" or trying the 285's on 9". Torn and conflicted...

View attachment 179894

Last edited:
Just as an FYI for people who are in the same situation as I am in, having to replace the original Michelin PS2 staggered tires:

I went to Costco's Tire Center today and was told, even though they're still available, that the PS2 tires will supposedly be discontinued.
However, PSS are still only available in 245, not 265.

So I am considering just replacing my 245 PS2 in the front with PSS and leaving the rear PS2 on for now, until they also become available in 265.
Any thoughts or safety concerns on doing this?

After getting annoyed with spending $1000 for two rear PS2s on my P85+, I went with:

Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2
rear: 275/30R21
front: 245/35R21
Cost less than $1000 for all four installed, and, they're a little quieter than the stock MIchelin PS2s, which only lasted 8000 miles. That means it's HALF the price of the stock PS2 tires.

Purchased from Tirerack.com. Very happy with the set up.

Lots of other happy users out there.
Anyone try Hankook Ventus V12 in 275/30/21 yet on P85+ rear?

Hi M5Guy, what did you go with? I'm in need and the PSS's 285/35ZR21's are only in stock, the 285/30ZR21's are back ordered.

View attachment 179894

Here's what I found last week when I needed rear tires on my P85+:

Discount tire had the Hankook 275/30-21 in one of their warehouses but refused to install them as they are "dangerous". The stupid load rating thing discussed earlier. I tried to explain to the store manager that the 101 load rated PS2 is an optional tire and the regular 245/35-21 only has a 96 load rating. The Hankook with a 98 LR is therefore fine. The manager actually babbled about how a plus has "special suspension tuning" that "places increased load on the rear tires" and required a higher LR. Being an engineer this stupidity gave me a head ache and I left.

Next went to NTB. None of their warehouses had the 275/30-21 and they showed no interest in ordering from Hankook. Actually told me to mail order. Weird way to run a business. I was the only customer in the store, not surprising I guess.

Then went to Sears. No 275/30-21 in warehouse. Called Hankook. National back order, earliest delivery in 2 months.

So ended up with another set of 265/35-21 PS2s at $340/ea. At least the price has gone down from the $500/ea it was last time.

Oh, and the 265/35-21 PSS is in the computer now with a part number and everything. No availability yet, but it's getting close.

Still no tires here either.

Talked to the tire center at Costco a few days ago and PSS are on nationwide backorder. The 245/35 PSS are supposedly showing up in their system, indicating that production will start within 30 days. However, I was told that the 265/35 PSS for the rear can't even be ordered yet in Costco's system.

I still don't want to purchase another set of PS2s if they will be discontinued.

Last edited:
Hi M5Guy, what did you go with? I'm in need and the PSS's 285/35ZR21's are only in stock, the 285/30ZR21's are back ordered.

I ended up going with the 245's all the way around. They look a little small on the back of the car (staggered wheels) but not too bad. Would prefer the 265's obviously, but couldn't find any evidence of anyone running the PSS in 285's (ether 30 or 35 series) successfully on factory wheel. I was too chicken to try and be the first...