Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Tires Worn Out at 49k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my first puncture recently. On inspection it was caused by weakened resistance to punctures by the inside surface being worn to steel belt. There was nothing stuck in the tire but there was a crack. You cant see this by looking at the tire from the outside. My understanding is that there is a negative camber on the back wheels. There is plenty of tread left on the front ones so my thought is if Tesla did not have -ve camber maybe Id still be using these back ones. Im not a fast driver nor do I many launches. The tires were prob worn 10k ago. Do you think 40k is OK?

I got my first puncture recently. On inspection it was caused by weakened resistance to punctures by the inside surface being worn to steel belt. There was nothing stuck in the tire but there was a crack. You cant see this by looking at the tire from the outside. My understanding is that there is a negative camber on the back wheels. There is plenty of tread left on the front ones so my thought is if Tesla did not have -ve camber maybe Id still be using these back ones. Im not a fast driver nor do I many launches. The tires were prob worn 10k ago. Do you think 40k is OK?

How much have you driven on low suspension setting? Some owners have worn the insides below the limit at 20,000kms due to continual low setting.

S or X? I've heard tell of people with Xs having severe camber wear problems, but it seems inconsistent as to who gets it and whether it's related to the very low setting or not. Either way, on such a heavy car 40k isn't really that bad. I'm likely to get half that mileage on an SP100D.

conman I'll bet you've got the low profile tires as well. I've got an S with 19inch wheels & wouldn't consider 21inch.
Yes of course I do, but it's the price I'm willing to pay. If you've ever owned any exotic sports car you just have to accept the expense, otherwise you shouldn't be driving one, but that's nothing to do with your issue if you're on 19s. Nonetheless even a 75D is a very heavy car, but camber wear shouldn't happen anywhere.

@eclectricdave if you're driving on standard setting you should be getting wear similar to the photo, that inside tread has more than 3.0mm remaining after 71,000kms, that was a front but has been on the rear for the past 34,000kms. If your car is not defaulting to low setting then your inside tyre wear needs to be accessed by Tesla.
image.jpg