TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Rear Trunk Lighting Mod

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by MDR SEA, Feb 13, 2017.

1. MDR SEA

MDR SEA 2015 Model S 85D...& loving it!

I wanted to improve the rear trunk lighting on my Model S. Here's the process and materials.

1. Sourced LED strips and connections - Amazon.com: LE 16.4ft LED Flexible Light Strip, 300 Units SMD 2835 LEDs, 12V DC Non-waterproof, Light Strips, LED ribbon, DIY Christmas Holiday Home Kitchen Car Bar Indoor Party Decoration (Daylight White): Home Improvement

2. Watched a good video -
    3. Picked location and power source - underside cargo cover rail, tapped power from existing light.

Install issues -
    The release tape pulled the adhesive tape from the light strip - reapplied then carefully removed the release tape.
    Wiped the underside of the rail with Acetone to improve adhesion. Rail dissolved a bit - I recommend a less aggressive solvent like alcohol.
    2 of the LEDs in the strip were dead - power LED strip before install to check for dead LEDs
    Overall it's an easy mod. Finished one side and will do other side soon.
    Notice the difference in the attached pix.
    Feel free to contact me with questions.
    Enjoy
    MDR

Attached Files: