Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear trunk lighting suggestion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like it! The original location for the LED's need improvement. Once you have your groceries in there, whatever minimal lumens left are blocked. All we need is someone to tap into the rear LED's power source and wire them up to the rails. Even a couple of high powered CREE's XM-L's or XT-E's floods would work dandy. Just need power, driver, heatsink and the LED's. No reflector or lens would give a nice flood.

The hatch LED would be another option, to simply make that one a higher powered spot. Seems like yet another oversight on the interior design committee. Tesla engineers need to spend more time over at candlepowerforums.

Hey folks, in all honesty, this is supposed to be a premium sedan. Should you be required to install appropriate lighting yourself? Is this turning into a DIY car?

Come on, how hard can it be for Tesla to install lights that are able to do what they are supposed to do, namely sufficiently lighting the cargo hold?
Any other carmaker manages that feat, so why can't they???

Hey folks, in all honesty, this is supposed to be a premium sedan. Should you be required to install appropriate lighting yourself? Is this turning into a DIY car?

hmm ... let's have a look ...

- "aftermarket floor mats"
- "Opportunity Console"
- "Model S with dark windows?"
- "hitch option"
- "park sensor"
- "key fob solution"
- "windshield fluid"
- "tire repare kit"

did I miss a tread ?

Come on, how hard can it be for Tesla to install lights that are able to do what they are supposed to do, namely sufficiently lighting the cargo hold?
Any other carmaker manages that feat, so why can't they???

Most of the cars I've had, of all kinds, have had inadequate trunk lighting. And I would argue that the definition of "premium" is pretty much subjective. In my view, today any car with an ICE is hardly premium. It's a threat to the planet. I don't give a whit about things that others define as "premium," many of which IMHO are defined by the standards of conspicuous consumption (Thorsten Veblen, are you listening?). Those are my values. But for other people there are different values.

I agree that the trunk lighting looks poor. But so has about every car I have ever used.

And lighting a hatchback is way harder to light than a trunk. No easy overhead locations.

That's true. The best hatch lighting solutions I've had over the years generally involve one or two bright lights on the inside of the hatch door that shine down into the cargo area when the hatch is raised. One SUV I had also illuminated the ground behind the bumper fairly well with this setup.

Have you ever visited another car forum? ANY car forum? Sheesh.

Of course I have, and of course I know that millions of people do (and love to) fiddle around with their cars and install all kinds of extras.
But I'm not talking WCC here. I'm talking about something as simple as a well lit trunk right out of the factory.
And again, I must be the only person on the planet to always have had cars with brightly lit trunks, never mind if it were limos, hatchbacks, compacts or whatever. Must have been my strange choices of cars.

And about the definition of premium: true, that might be considered very subjective. But having a well lit trunk (as well as an opportunity console, adequate wipers, interior storage facilities, usable cup holders, etc.) is something any car should have, be it crap or premium. And as I said, I have never had or seen a car with inadequate trunk lighting, but I have seen the video that showed the Model S trunk lighting, and believe me that is not just the opinion of that owner. That lighting is more than inadequate.
But if you are happy to spend upwards of 50k Dollars on a car that drives great but requires you to take a flashlight along so you can light your trunk, go on and do it.

Again, in itself it may not be a dealbreaker, but it is one more nag that need not be there.
I once thought the Model S could be the greatest car on the planet - but that memory is slowly fading into obscurity.

But if you are happy to spend upwards of 50k Dollars on a car that drives great but requires you to take a flashlight along so you can light your trunk, go on and do it.

Again, in itself it may not be a dealbreaker, but it is one more nag that need not be there.
I once thought the Model S could be the greatest car on the planet - but that memory is slowly fading into obscurity.

Please remember that you're reacting to a sample of exactly 1. Let's see what a slightly bigger sample says? BTW, if this is a real issue it's really easy just to swap out bulbs for a superbright LED bulb.

Please remember that you're reacting to a sample of exactly 1. Let's see what a slightly bigger sample says? BTW, if this is a real issue it's really easy just to swap out bulbs for a superbright LED bulb.

That's something that gives me hope (and makes me feel better about us here getting the Model S far later than you in the US), that Tesla will have a lot of time to iron out all those early-adopter nags and glitches before the first cars get here.