Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Trunk Occasionally Gets Stuck While Opening?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but recently, the rear trunk of our year-old Model Y will get stuck while trying to open. It does not happen every time, and it only started less than two weeks ago, but when we try to open the trunk, we can see the hatch attempt to open (the hatch may move up a half-inch), and then close again. When we immediately attempt to open the trunk, it will usually open normally.

Mobile service came to make an adjustment to the striker, and we've applied white lithium grease to the striker, but the problem persists (intermittently). We've also made sure that area around the striker is clean and free of debris, and that there are no obstructions in the area of the trunk latch/striker.

Wondering if additional adjustments will be required, or if the entire latch assembly will need to be replaced.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but recently, the rear trunk of our year-old Model Y will get stuck while trying to open. It does not happen every time, and it only started less than two weeks ago, but when we try to open the trunk, we can see the hatch attempt to open (the hatch may move up a half-inch), and then close again. When we immediately attempt to open the trunk, it will usually open normally.

Mobile service came to make an adjustment to the striker, and we've applied white lithium grease to the striker, but the problem persists (intermittently). We've also made sure that area around the striker is clean and free of debris, and that there are no obstructions in the area of the trunk latch/striker.

Wondering if additional adjustments will be required, or if the entire latch assembly will need to be replaced.
The rubber bumpers on each side of the latch, unscrew them about two turns.

Thanks for the suggestion. Good to know for the future!

After letting the service advisor know that the problem persisted, he asked me to bring the car into the service department for further diagnosis and repair/adjustment.

The service advisor told me they ended up replacing the latch assembly altogether. I'll get more information after I pick the car up, which most likely will not be until tomorrow

Thanks for the suggestion. Good to know for the future!

After letting the service advisor know that the problem persisted, he asked me to bring the car into the service department for further diagnosis and repair/adjustment.

The service advisor told me they ended up replacing the latch assembly altogether. I'll get more information after I pick the car up, which most likely will not be until tomorrow
I've noticed this a few times. I don't use the hatch very often, and my theory has been that after sitting day after day in the heat, the rubber seal around the opening gets kind of stuck down. If I help it a little by pulling, then it opens on the second try and typically works for the rest of the usage that day.

Anyway, that's my theory based on occasional use as I said. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse. I really don't prefer to have service done so I hope it's not a sign of trouble.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
Be careful about adjusting the liftgate rubber bumpers. They are set specifically to keep the liftgate from bouncing around while driving which would cause cabin pressure changes resulting in you feeling as if you were in an airplane during landing.

Mine did exactly what you are describing. It started intermittently and gradually increased over a period of a couple of months to where it would rarely open normally. They finally determined that one of the hinges had cracked at the mount and it had pulled away from the car body slightly. They think it was because the rear liftgate was likely slightly misaligned from the factory causing increased stress to that side. Sure enough, they replaced the hinge and perfectly aligned the liftgate and it now works flawlessly. I was without the car for a couple of weeks because the hinge is a painted part and all of the work had to be done at a body shop which was super backed up.

This used to happen to my ‘21 Model Y LR. The rear hatch would fail to open initially after it sat closed for a few days. After failing once, I’d try to open it again, apply a little upwards push by hand and it would then open freely each time. But if it sat closed for a bit, it would stick again.

I took it to the local Tesla dealership for warranty service. They changed the lift actuator but it kept happening intermittently. Turns out the rubber gasket (car side) was sticking slightly to the metal (hatch side). The actuator is designed at an odd angle and wasn’t able to overcome this additional force to open. Once I’d helped it open by pushing, and “broke the seal,” it was able to operate normally.

To fix, you just need to apply a small amount of lubricant to the metal on the hatch side to prevent sticking. I used a thin silicone oil like shown in the attached picture. It can be bought via the link below from Amazon. Don’t use WD 40 or other petroleum based lubricants, they’ll break down your gasket over time and will actually increase the “stick.” And choose a silicone oil that is nice and thin, close to water viscosity, around 100CST.

First clean with a damp cloth the metal area of the hatch where the gasket contacts it. All the way around the opening. And then make sure it’s dry. Then apply a light portion of the silicone oil to a separate dry cloth. Don’t soak it. Just enough to dampen it. Then gently wipe the damp cloth around the full perimeter of the hatch where the gasket contacts it. Do this for about 3 circles of the opening to get a nice consistent coat. You don’t want it goopy or drippy, just a slick surface when you glide your finger across it. After that, open and close your hatch 2-3 times to distribute it across the gasket. Don’t apply directly to the gasket, just let it transfer naturally from the hatch. That’s it.

I did this months ago and my hatch hasn’t stuck once after doing it for 1.5 years. I imagine I may have to reapply at some point in the future. But for now it’s working great.

Attachments

• IMG_2195.jpeg
    IMG_2195.jpeg
    448.3 KB · Views: 51