Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Trunk Without Power Liftgate - Big Mistake?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am picking up my first Tesla later today and starting to get nervous about one of our decisions. We decided to opt out of the Premium Package because all we wanted out of it was the power lift gate and that, alone, could not justify $3,000 in our minds. For some reason, it never dawned on me to manually open and close the trunk. I just assumed we were foregoing a convenient option, not something essential for regular use of the car. Surely, anything required for the regular use of the car would be standard at this price point. Or so I thought. Over the last couple days reading through Tesla Forums, it looks like I may have made a big mistake.

My wife is only about 5 feet tall and 110lbs soaking wet; I am starting to worry that she is going to have a hard time closing the trunk because of its height at full opening and the force required to close it. I called the DS and asked if they could do some sort of adjustment to limit how high the trunk opens, but they were quite non-committal. I do wish they had advised us to consider the functional problems not having a power lift gate may cause, especially since my said short and tiny wife was with me at the time we placed our order at the Tesla store and discussed the pros/cons of options with the Tesla rep; I would have probably sucked it up and paid for the upgrade through gritted teeth if I thought not having a power lift gate may create functional problems. Also kicking myself for not considering this issue on my own - I was too focused on all the other goodies of greater interest.

I am now having visions of my wife calling me from a grocery store parking lot in the middle of a winter storm because she can't close the rear trunk! Any thoughts? Am I worried over nothing? I am super excited about picking up the car today but this issue is stressing me out a little bit.

My wife is 5'2" and can easily reach the button to close the hatch even when it's fully open. The handle is right next to the button. I don't think it'll be out of reach for her. Inconvenient, perhaps, but not impossible.

That said, I think I'd have a hard time ordering one without the power trunk, and I'm 6'2". It's handy and keeps the trunk lid free of handprints. I often just have people toss stuff in and close it from the center display.

Reactions: UnbeknownstToAll
On the electric open/close you can set how high the hatch opens, but not sure if that feature is on the manual too. It sounds like it is from your conversation with Tesla. If not you could attach some sort of strap (dog leash works well) that hangs down a bit. My wife is just under 5' so I know some of the issues she has.

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc
My wife is 5'2" and can easily reach the button to close the hatch even when it's fully open. The handle is right next to the button. I don't think it'll be out of reach for her. Inconvenient, perhaps, but not impossible.
That's a good point. My wife is 5'1" and she can easily reach the button with the trunk fully open.

My wife is only about 5 feet tall and 110lbs soaking wet
So OP - your 5' wife should be fine, though I don't know what her weight has to do with her ability to reach the button ;)

Thanks everybody. I feel a lot better now. Panic was setting in...

I would have gotten this option if I had thought about it more to be honest, but I am one of those who really was pushing my car budget to get into a Model S and was counting my pennies (and, in this particular case, I was probably pound foolish in not ponying up an additional $3k, though I sill think the lift gate should be standard). I feel better given some of the comments. The strap or leash is also a creative solution. Oh, I mentioned my wife's weight just because it was a nicer way of saying she is not that strong! Was concerned about her ability, both due to vertical challenges and lack of muscle, to close it at full opening. I hope she is not reading this post!

I will update if the DS is able to actually adjust it so that it does open beyond a certain point. Since we don't have the rear seats, can't think of a situation where we would need it fully open anyway.

Excitement has returned!

This is my first car that came with a power trunk. Okay, it's kinda cool, but neither I nor my wife have ever complained about having to manually close a trunk lid or hatch back before. It is counter-weighted on gas struts, so it's not like it's difficult to do.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
We have a power lift gate on two of our other cars. We hate them and specifically opted out of the Premium Package to avoid it.

Here are my reasons:
1) For our other cars, the power lift gate seems slow. It's often quicker to open/close manually than to use the power function.
2) If we already started an open/close process, it's not possible to override it manually. It just beeps at us and we stare at it. Annoying if we're in a rush.
3) If we have a slightly more full trunk, one of those where it's full but you can bump it close if it was manual, the power lift gate would beep at us for safety reasons and reverse.
4) Had one break, leaving it in a stuck in a mid open position.
5) When using manually, the door was frequently heavier when equipped with power option.

Overall, it's just quicker to manually do it. I've never been frustrated by manually opening/closing a lift gate. I have been frustrated many times with a power lift gate.

Others on the board love it, to each their own.

1) For our other cars, the power lift gate seems slow. It's often quicker to open/close manually than to use the power function.

They definitely vary a lot from car to car. The one on my parents' Lexus RX closes very slowly and beeps several times before it even starts. But the one on my wife's Volvo XC60 closes very quickly with no warning after you push the button. I guess the Swedes presume their customers know to get out of the way of a closing hatch back.

I also thought long and hard about power liftgate.

Then I realized the one I have now is annoying (Lexus RX330)

Decided to spend that money on something I'll use and like, like EAP and next gen seats

If the liftgate is too high or heavy, just do what we do... use the back door instead of the hatch

What I don't understand is why anybody spending a hundred grand on a car would cheapen up on a few items.
Doesn't make sense unless you pay cash.
On monthly payments, the difference will be negligible so why not go all out and get it loaded?
It also helps in resale later as people will want it loaded.
Just my cheap 2 cents worth! Lol!

I'm 5'1" and pretty petite too. I too had the same issue with paying the $3K just for the power liftgate since i needed really need the other stuff so I ordered without. But before my car went into production I went to the showroom to try the manual liftgate and found it heavy and awkward to open. Maybe because my first Tesla had it, I could tell the big difference. So I sucked it up and got a car with the power liftgate and am happy I did. I know I would have regretted not getting it.

• Funny
Reactions: RacerX and bswn1
When dropping this much money on a car there is no EXCUSE as to why power lift gate isn't standard. I go with the PUP on all of our cars for Power Lift gate, LED interior lighting, LED fog and Cornering Lights, Lighted Door Handles, Bio Weapon Defense Mode ETC..... But manly power-lift gate. Im just going to have to suck it up and pay the price when it fails. But one thing I know is that the warning when you press the button to shut it, is annoying I absolutely loathe that sound.