Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear trunk won't close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After loading some (OK, a lot) stuff into the trunk of my 2015 MS, the trunk would close part way, beep, then open back up. I assumed it was because it was too full, and the trunk was bumping against something when it tried to close. I rearranged some items and tried again, but the trunk beeped and opened again. I did this several more times. Then after removing everything I thought could possibly be bumping up against the trunk when it closes, I pressed the button to close it again. This time, there was a multi-beep, and it did not even move. Pressing the button again just brings up the multi-beep sound. I tried closing the trunk from the MCU screen, but got the same result (multi-beep, does not close). I ended up manually pulling the trunk down to close it. After that, normal operation seemed to be restored. I was able to open it via the latch and close it via the button.

Did anyone else experience their trunk not being able to close? Could it be that after x number of failed attempts at closing the trunk, the button is disabled? Does manually closing the trunk cause any damage?

You can physically move the hatch to position where you want it to stop when open, and then hold down the button to reprogram the height (beeps a few times when done). I would try that first and see if it resets. Not sure what would happen if you close and try to latch manually. But it won't hurt the mechanism to move the hatch itself.

You can physically move the hatch to position where you want it to stop when open, and then hold down the button to reprogram the height (beeps a few times when done). I would try that first and see if it resets. Not sure what would happen if you close and try to latch manually. But it won't hurt the mechanism to move the hatch itself.
Thank you SoCal Buzz, didn't know about reprogramming the stopping height. Handy to know as the clearance in my garage is kind of low, so I cringe whenever I have to open the hatch while in the garage :)

Hi,

Question from a new owner on this topic. Literally had the 2015 Model S for 3 days now.

When I collected the S, the tailgate would open / close on any of the various buttons / MCU etc.

I tested the "stop" function so it would only go so high if you had a low garage etc. As I didn't know at the time how to reset the level the tailgate stops at I left it at that position for the weekend.

Today, when unloading the trunk, I figured it would be more useful for it to be full height again, as I'm 6 ft and hit my head on the catch a few times over the weekend, (from it being set lower).

I opened it as usual, then manually pushed it open fully, then pressed and held the "close" button until it bleeped.

Now this is where I don't know if I have a problem or IF this is a "feature"...

When I try close the tailgate on the button(s), it lowers about an inch, stops and goes back to fully open.
If I manually lower the tailgate about 2 inches, then press the button it lowers and closes correctly.

If I programme the tailgate to not open 100%, it will close on the button(s).

So, I assume I have an issue. As I guess that the tailgate is not meant to be manually closed a little bit before then pressing the button?

Thanks.

The wheel configuration reset on the service page could clear that up.
Switch to a different size wheel and then back to normal.
Perfect thanks.

I did a reset as the screen got locked up hunting for my WiFi signal, then later I checked the tailgate and it worked but didn't link the reset to tailgate, so that's good to know for the future.

Thanks again.

FYI...

I had similar problem with my trunk unable to latch. It is a 2015 model with manual closing liftgate (not electrical) and a few days ago it was stuck open. the mechanisem would not latch even it would close just fine... pressing knob did not result any action from the actuator...

I took it to the nearby service (not tesla) and they just sprayed it with something...it works now. No idea what the spray was and they did not want to tell me :)

• Informative
Reactions: Queeg500
Right, its faulty again :(

The mechanisem for "open" trunk normally sounds like one short "grind" (most likely the sound of actuator?), today, same as 14 days ago, the sound was multiple short "grinds", it opened, actually unlatched the trunk and after that is stuck open. Remember, my trunk is not electric.
Pressing fob does not result in any sound, no reaction.
I tried spraying all over it, but no difference.

Is anybody familiar with the latching mechanism, or have a drawing of it, perhaps I can move some spring and similar, to latch it?