Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear trunk won't open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very interesting... we’re coming up on about 10 months on our replacement and I’m now noticing the cinch motor sounds slightly different than it did several weeks ago. It whirrs and cinches, but the last third of the sound/pull was previously higher pitched and now it almost sounds like it’s struggling at the end. Could just be normal or sign of failure #2. We shall see.
Sounds like failure. I’d be tempted to replace it. Much easier when it works, although the mobile guy said he could get into it without much problem - an occasional broken clip.

Reactions: MikeBur
My rear trunk suddenly stopped opening. UI indicates it's open but it's definitely fully closed. All methods to open it electronically (key fob, touch screen, and trunk button) result in 2 beeps but no latch release or movement. The emergency release cable has no give (I.e. Doesn't move at all even when pulling on it with pliers). Pulling on cable while lifting gate manually also doesn't help. Reboot didn't help. Any other thoughts?
Its the cinch motor that pulls the trunk shut and locks it had mine replaced at 48K miles

Mines recently went out as well. Then it worked for a few hours and then out again. What is alarming that when i came back to the car I noticed my trunk looked slightly ajar. I attempted to open it and it worked. Even closed by itself. I drove it home no issues but they came back in the morning. Also AP doesn’t work while this trunk error is on.

I have a service appointment next week.

Are you positive you had the redesigned cinch motor?
Never had redesigned motor, had A step as per: Rear trunk won't open
TTF: 2 years with minimal use (few times a week)

Now have redesigned B stepping, here’s hoping this lasts longer, though will be listening more intently now.

@Cirrus MS100D you should call into service center and note intermittent failure. You’re below 12 months parts warranty, so noted failures now should give you should headroom.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Mines recently went out as well. Then it worked for a few hours and then out again. What is alarming that when i came back to the car I noticed my trunk looked slightly ajar. I attempted to open it and it worked. Even closed by itself. I drove it home no issues but they came back in the morning. Also AP doesn’t work while this trunk error is on.

I have a service appointment next week.
AP/cruise control, etc do not work with any “door” open. I am reasonably convinced AEB also doesn’t work. I didn’t purposely attempt to cause it to go off, though have it set to early and one instance I really would have expected it to go off. This might be confirmation bias though as I haven’t had this go off in last 2 FW updates. Just be more careful.
Also, in case you haven’t read rest of thread, your car will not auto lock, nor off the key fob. You have to open your door, go to car settings on large display and select “lock” wait until it changes to “unlock” as a button and then close the door as you leave. The app will show locked, and the mirrors will fold as confirmation

AP/cruise control, etc do not work with any “door” open. I am reasonably convinced AEB also doesn’t work. I didn’t purposely attempt to cause it to go off, though have it set to early and one instance I really would have expected it to go off. This might be confirmation bias though as I haven’t had this go off in last 2 FW updates. Just be more careful.
Also, in case you haven’t read rest of thread, your car will not auto lock, nor off the key fob. You have to open your door, go to car settings on large display and select “lock” wait until it changes to “unlock” as a button and then close the door as you leave. The app will show locked, and the mirrors will fold as confirmation

My car auto locks and unlocks fine. Mirrors fold as well

2015 mcu1
Same same. Strange. You sure it’s locked, ie go up to car without key fob and touch handle. I hear you saying mirrors folded and that’s usually the telltale. Do you have the incessant beeping and trunk open in yellow graphic on instrument cluster?

Great for you if it locks, though unaware of anyone who has had same situation and this continues. Anywho, good luck getting it repaired

Never had redesigned motor, had A step as per: Rear trunk won't open
TTF: 2 years with minimal use (few times a week)

Now have redesigned B stepping, here’s hoping this lasts longer, though will be listening more intently now.

@Cirrus MS100D you should call into service center and note intermittent failure. You’re below 12 months parts warranty, so noted failures now should give you should headroom.

I was confused by the 2nd time in as many years since the redesigned cinch motor came out more than 2 years ago.

I’ve been having a similar issue but intermittently. When I try to open the trunk sometimes, it beeps and doesn’t open (but then car thinks it’s open). However as opposed to what’s described here, I am able to open it by hand and then close it by hand (I hear the motor then when I close it by hand). The next time it opens fine with the button. It seems as if the rubber seals are holding it closed when it malfunctions after few days of not opening it. Any ideas?

I’ve been having a similar issue but intermittently. When I try to open the trunk sometimes, it beeps and doesn’t open (but then car thinks it’s open). However as opposed to what’s described here, I am able to open it by hand and then close it by hand (I hear the motor then when I close it by hand). The next time it opens fine with the button. It seems as if the rubber seals are holding it closed when it malfunctions after few days of not opening it. Any ideas?

take it the dealer, mines started like that

Reactions: T3SLA90D
I just wanted to note that while our second cinch motor started to sound “weird” (I took videos, but not really worth uploading) it resolved itself within about a week. Basically I’d describe it like the motor was “struggling” and had a lower pitch like it was working harder to close, but then it went back to normal and has been that way ever since. Shrug.

This video SOLVED my problem.
Trunk was stuck closed, indicating open, pull cable didn't budge it.
Now works perfectly. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Thanks, pts260! While this didn’t fix my problem, it let me get the trunk open. Now, the trunk will unlatch, and I can open it manually. While the car still thinks it’s always open, and it doesn’t latch correctly, at least I can use it until my service appointment.

Happy New Year!!

Reactions: pts260