Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear trunk won't open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting issue. I do think a revision to the emergency release is in order here. Ideally, it should be able to bypass any other failures, as that is kind of the point.

As an owner with rear facing seats, I'm going to do a little investigation to see what is required to allow access over the seat backs for a back door exit should this happen with kids back there.

This is currently happening in my car - getting the kids out was easy, just have them stand up, release the rear seat catch, then fold the 2nd row seat (or seats) forward. A bit harder if you're ADULT size ;-) lol

Concern: Customer states: liftgate will not unlatch.
Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Liftgate General Diagnosis
Technician verified rear liftgate not unlatching. Found latch assembly failing and power
strut weak. Recommend replacement of latch and strut.
Corrections: Latch - Liftgate
Technician replaced liftgate latch.
Part Quantity
ASY LIFTGATE LATCH PWR REL (6006654-
00-B)
Parts Replaced or Added
Corrections: Power Strut - Liftgate
Technician replaced liftgate power strut.
Part Quantity
LIFTGATE POWER

FYI.... it's $650 if you are out of warranty for above work.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but on Saturday, this happened on my Oct 2015 built S90D. I was detailing the car, had the rear hatch open for an extended period while I was vacuuming, etc in the Phoenix AZ heat. Closed it, tried to open a few minutes later and got the beeps but no movement.

Tesla is sending a ranger out (scheduled Tuesday 8am, but his load on Monday may allow him to come sooner ). Hope it can be resolved before we have to leave town on the 29th.

For the locks, the service writer at Tempe Service Center showed me a trick --
* Before you exit the car, with the driver's door open, touch the 'Lock' icon on the middle screen
* Exit the car
-- Car is now locked, even though it thinks the trunk is open.
-- Handles will still present as you walk up with the key, so if you want to test, make sure the keys are not nearby.

Hopefully, this will help someone else in this situation.

I must say it is super annoying not to be able to use cruise control (let alone auto-pilot). I find it difficult to judge speed with the car so quiet. so I've turned on the over-speed chime to keep me from getting a ticket till this is fixed.

LK

Ok, issue resolved:
  1. Remove the parcel shelf supports
  2. Remove headliner side bolsters around the trunk opening
  3. Remove the bridge plastic trim at the top of the lift gate
  4. Remove the side vertical plastic trim from each side of the lift gate
  5. Pop loose the top of the rear plastic trim from the lift gate
    ( it won't fully disengage due to the handle inserts at the bottom of the lift gate )
  6. Reach down with a small flat screwdriver and disengage the power lead to the Clinch motor
  7. Using the small flat screwdriver, rotate the clinch motor emergency release mechanism
    ( Rotary pulley looking thing on the back side of the clinch motor )
  8. Viola! lift gate released!
  9. Open lift gate
  10. Fully remove remaining trim panel
  11. Remove Clinch motor ( 3 torx screws )
  12. Install new Clinch Motor
  13. Test lift gate functionality
  14. Re-install all trim
    ( Replace any trim which has broken bits )
FYI - Step 7 is a bear... you gotta be a contortionist and pressed up against the glass of the lift gate to pop that thing.

Hope this process helps someone else to at least get the lift gate open. Releasing the clinch motor may free up whatever caused it to bind and allow it to work normally until you can get a service appt or a ranger to visit. Or, maybe this will help you guide a ranger on what needs to be done.

This thread helped me as I was able to advise the ranger to bring a clinch motor (which he normally didn't have with him). He said he's only seen lift gate issues 3 times in the past X years he's worked at Tesla (including time working at the factory), so the failure rate on these is low. Further, this was the first time he's had to use this process to open a stuck lift gate.

LK

Thanks for the post. This just happened to me two days ago on my March 2016 S. We are 4 hour one way and 6 hours the other way from a service center. I don't relish driving that far with an incompletely closed rear hatch and no Autopilot! Will see if I can talk them into sending a ranger to help me out.

• Helpful
Reactions: Snerruc
Just had this happened to me yesterday. Dec 2014 p85d. Parts in stock at Seattle SoDo to be fixed Monday. Thanks for the earlier heads-up with service notice info.

Surprising that AP didn't work at all, incl. Adaptive Cruise. May be related, though Forward Collision Warning never triggered once during next 2+ hours. I have it set on "early" and usually get few false positives in heavy traffic in minutes, and there was nothing for a good 45 mins, and I tried to trigger it (safely obviously, though pretty easy to do). Reported it.

Reactions: commasign
Just had this happened to me yesterday. Dec 2014 p85d. Parts in stock at Seattle SoDo to be fixed Monday. Thanks for the earlier heads-up with service notice info.

Surprising that AP didn't work at all, incl. Adaptive Cruise. May be related, though Forward Collision Warning never triggered once during next 2+ hours. I have it set on "early" and usually get few false positives in heavy traffic in minutes, and there was nothing for a good 45 mins, and I tried to trigger it (safely obviously, though pretty easy to do). Reported it.

If the car thinks anything is open, it won't let any of the driver assistance features function. Not even standard cruise control. Was a rough few days w/o cruise control when mine was in the failed state.

• Funny
Reactions: Kristoffer Helle
If the car thinks anything is open, it won't let any of the driver assistance features function. Not even standard cruise control. Was a rough few days w/o cruise control when mine was in the failed state.
Yes, thanks. Read your reply before, though am not brave enough to try to release / reattach clinch motor. I am a little concerned that FCW doesn't appear to work. I'd class as a safety feature, not assistance, even if logically I can understand why there's the association.

Well this just happened to me, Model S 85D 7/15 delivery. Waiting for Service Center to call back. Broke the darn plastic piece on the emergency latch. :-(
Sorry to hear. Mine was fixed promptly, though they did not have all the parts in stock. Here's what my parts used were and might help them ensure they have what thetheir need

IMG_0372.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
Looks like this is something in the 2015 builds. Just had this happen to my Oct 2015 build S85D. Of course it happens as I am showing off the car to a couple interested in buying a Tesla and need to take the car of a long road trip next week. Here is hoping that telling the service center to look at the cinch motor will speed up the repair.

Looks like this is something in the 2015 builds. Just had this happen to my Oct 2015 build S85D. Of course it happens as I am showing off the car to a couple interested in buying a Tesla and need to take the car of a long road trip next week. Here is hoping that telling the service center to look at the cinch motor will speed up the repair.
Sorry to hear. Send them the parts list above to ensure they have all in stock. That will turn ensure the highest probability of a one hour repair VS your car needing to be there for a couple of days if they start work without them in stock ;)