Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear trunk won't open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: oaito
My 2015 Model S actuator quit yesterday...lift gate was closed and locked...with the help of the video posted in this thread , I was able to open the lift gate, and then remove the required panels to expose the wiring and actuator. Emergency exit cable didn't budge.

With the free 1 year subscription to the Service Manual mentioned in the previous post, I was able to find the lift gate ajar/open switch and their wires. The schematic showed that when those circuits are open, it signals that the lift gate is open or ajar. So I cut those wires about 3-4 inches from the latch mechanism and now have no Door Open warning while driving and have full use of TACC and Autosteer. I will solder the wires back together after I get the new Actuator. I have a "manual" lift gate in the meantime. NBD

The two wires going to the actuator showed 13V plus when I plugged/unplugged the black connector inside the right side panel (top left not bottom right). I opened up the actuator and applied 11.1v DC...the magic smoke came out of the little motor when I ran it both forward and reverse. I guess it's shot.
Now, where can I find a cinching actuator?

Thanks for sharing all the info!

Reactions: job-lek
My 2015 Model S actuator quit yesterday...lift gate was closed and locked...with the help of the video posted in this thread , I was able to open the lift gate, and then remove the required panels to expose the wiring and actuator. Emergency exit cable didn't budge.

With the free 1 year subscription to the Service Manual mentioned in the previous post, I was able to find the lift gate ajar/open switch and their wires. The schematic showed that when those circuits are open, it signals that the lift gate is open or ajar. So I cut those wires about 3-4 inches from the latch mechanism and now have no Door Open warning while driving and have full use of TACC and Autosteer. I will solder the wires back together after I get the new Actuator. I have a "manual" lift gate in the meantime. NBD

The two wires going to the actuator showed 13V plus when I plugged/unplugged the black connector inside the right side panel (top left not bottom right). I opened up the actuator and applied 11.1v DC...the magic smoke came out of the little motor when I ran it both forward and reverse. I guess it's shot.
Now, where can I find a cinching actuator?

Thanks for sharing all the info!
I got mine from the service center for $70. That's the only part I needed to fix the problem. By the time I had the car back together I had wished I had had mobile service do the job for $280. It probably would have been less if I told them to only replace the cincher. Not sure if that would have been option or not. The problem was putting that large plastic interior panel back on by myself. That was a bitch.

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: job-lek and David29
Happened to my wife's 2016 Model S. Trunk to body seam on right side was also out of alignment - trunk was higher than body. My connnector was black, located upper left. Could hear clicks as I unplugged and plugged it in, but trunk did not open. Left it unplugged and tried the outside manual latch button on the back of the trunk, and after three presses on the latch it opened. Was able to close it by hand and re-open it with the outside latch. Left the module unplugged. Have a repair appointment.

Just joined this club while on holiday in Prague. Will call the SC on Monday and see if they have the part and perform the repair on the campsite. If not I’ll have to drive back home without TACC…
Got it fixed, part was available at SC and was a < 1 hr job. I took the trouble of tearing apart the old module but it looked good (all the gears were undamaged and well-lubricated). If it really is this part then it has to be the motor that is worn out from the inside.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus