Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear under seat vents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was installing new floor mats on my MY and noticed the under seat, rear floor vents. Not only are they incredibly cheap, thin plastic which appear very easy to break but they're not sealed/capped to prevent coins or any other crap from rolling into them. Anybody cap them or have ideas?

• Funny
Reactions: tstolze
I think the first idea makes the most sense. Another few ideas, turn up radio to drown out the coins sliding around in the ducts or alternate focus onto the rattling noise coming from rear seat belts hitting the side molding. It's all fun and games until a coin(s) gets in there. Actually someone on another forum posted an issue and found a screen but it does fit the MY.

I enjoy the humor and lightheartedness of the suggestion but the real joke is on us. Paying north of $60K for vehicle that you need to make up screen for or shove rags in to solve a manufacturing flaw or oversight is just downright pathetic. As a shareholder I'm reaping the benefits of Tesla's success but as a prospective owner (already cancelled my MY order once) I question (once again) if I should purchase one.

I enjoy the humor and lightheartedness of the suggestion but the real joke is on us. Paying north of $60K for vehicle that you need to make up screen for or shove rags in to solve a manufacturing flaw or oversight is just downright pathetic. As a shareholder I'm reaping the benefits of Tesla's success but as a prospective owner (already cancelled my MY order once) I question (once again) if I should purchase one.

Also a shareholder and agree there are issues but want to add had an $60k Audi with delivery issues (scratched windshield and damaged leather seat - all fixed) and a $75k BMW with delivery issue (digital speedometer with odd discoloration). Actually had another BMW that had same vent issue, a coin got inside and was sliding around every time I stopped/accelerated; was able to get the coin with some double sided tape. Audi roof made noise the entire time we owned it and had to open and close roof to temporarily stop rattle along with needing to add a quart or two of oil between oil changes. Dealing with a paint issue on MY that SC said they see and will correct. Tesla seems to have many very common delivery issues vs. other manufacturers that have very common long term issues oil, rattling, part failures. Again I don't like the delivery issues with some major issues but what seems to draw attention to some minor issues are delivery checklists that Tesla forums and You Tube videos promote. I don't believe other manufacturers are dealing with. My issue with the price is some of the basics that are not included heated steering wheel, heated side mirrors, auto dimming rearview/side mirrors, Sirius XM missing, no notification in side mirrors for lane change.

Last edited:
The real issue here is no one should be using coins anymore!

Jk. I don’t know which vent you’re talking about but I’m pretty sure many cars don’t have screens on underseat vents. Seems like a manufactured issue to me. You don’t even own one? How do you know if this is even an issue.

This is on the model 3 as well and I bought some cheap vent covers off eBay that shipped from Hong Kong.

There was posts about people spilling Skittles and it rolled into that vent and dropped into the abyss of the vent conduits. Ya so people with kids or clumpsy hands, think about getting some covers.

This is common on many vehicles. It's the same on my Mazda and my old Toyota, Hyundai and Subaru.

My, at the time, toddler son managed to lose a small hand-sized flashlight right into the very open vent in my Toyota Highlander. It was never seen again. It is a universal issue, not Tesla specific. I do like the no coin policy idea, that made me laugh. Thinking maybe someone like LivingTesla (@buddhra) may come up with a 3d Printed Pattern for a vent cover just like the hitch removal tools.

My, at the time, toddler son managed to lose a small hand-sized flashlight right into the very open vent in my Toyota Highlander. It was never seen again. It is a universal issue, not Tesla specific. I do like the no coin policy idea, that made me laugh. Thinking maybe someone like LivingTesla (@buddhra) may come up with a 3d Printed Pattern for a vent cover just like the hitch removal tools.

Interesting. We'll think on it! @Kbra

B21861C8-FB3C-45C4-A5B7-B239BADE1EDD.png
You can buy covers
Tesla Model 3 Rear Seat Air Vent Cover Grille Under Front Seat (2 PCS)

Attachments

• 5F31CAD8-0950-4D66-B621-7C323C5232CE.png
    5F31CAD8-0950-4D66-B621-7C323C5232CE.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 253
The real issue here is no one should be using coins anymore!

Jk. I don’t know which vent you’re talking about but I’m pretty sure many cars don’t have screens on underseat vents. Seems like a manufactured issue to me. You don’t even own one? How do you know if this is even an issue.

From the back seat look under the front seats for a vent ... your opinion if coins, skittles, small toys, etc. can get stuck in there and rattle around. Great you think it is a made up issue but apparently a couple manufacturers are selling a solution. Not sure how "was installing floor mats in my MY and noticed..." is misunderstood as I don't own one?