Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear USB C Ports not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new Model Y and the rear USB C ports do not work. Cables/adapters work fine in the front USB C ports. While I know many would say it's the cable, since the cables do work in the front, it would seem to be the ports - or the internal cabling of those ports. From other posts, it appears Apple's USB-C to Lightening "works just fine". I wondering if anyone who has had Tesla look at their car regarding this issue has had a desirable outcome of the service visit and what the resolution was?

I have a new Model Y and the rear USB C ports do not work. Cables/adapters work fine in the front USB C ports. While I know many would say it's the cable, since the cables do work in the front, it would seem to be the ports - or the internal cabling of those ports. From other posts, it appears Apple's USB-C to Lightening "works just fine". I wondering if anyone who has had Tesla look at their car regarding this issue has had a desirable outcome of the service visit and what the resolution was?
I never checked my rear ports will go check them now.

Just checked mine, both are working fine. Submit a service ticket using your App, chances are the cables are not connected inside.

Fred

Last edited:
Reactions: Fredwolf
Define does not work. Are you expecting a data connection with those rear USB-C ports, plug in a USB flash drive with music to play? Or just power to charge a phone?

Only thing I have done with rear USB-C was to connect a USB-C hub and then connect my Apple USB-A to lightning charge cable to confirm that it had power and could charge my phone.

I never checked my rear ports will go check them now.

Just checked mine, both are working fine. Submit a service ticket using your App, chances are the cables are not connected inside.

Fred

Thank you kindly for the reply. Tesla is already coming out to install the automatic homelink garage door opening so they are going to take a look then. I appreciate the response.

Define does not work. Are you expecting a data connection with those rear USB-C ports, plug in a USB flash drive with music to play? Or just power to charge a phone?

Only thing I have done with rear USB-C was to connect a USB-C hub and then connect my Apple USB-A to lightning charge cable to confirm that it had power and could charge my phone.

Hi there - Just power. I am expecting it to work exactly like the front. So when I plug in my phone I would expect it to start charging. usually those sitting in the backseat are wanting to power their phones. I know cables and adapters can be finicky but I would expect the same result from the same cable/adapters. So hopefully its something simple. Otherwise its been really nice to have that power pad in the front. Love it!

I do not have any USB-C to lightning cables and I do not see the need to buy any right now, so only way I could test was to use a USB-C hub and expose USB-A connections, which I could plug in my Apple cable. While that worked for me, it did have some minor hiccups for me and did not charge right away. Could be the extra hub, but it did work the first 1-2 times, but then it did work for me on third time, after I waited a bit to plug in and try again. Just in case you tried and gave up on first or second try, or did not wait long enough. Probably something to do with that extra hub in there, but it was not rock solid for me when I tested. If you have something else that is USB-C, give that a try. I only have the hub. Good luck with it.

Reactions: Fredwolf and Carlvs
I do not have any USB-C to lightning cables and I do not see the need to buy any right now, so only way I could test was to use a USB-C hub and expose USB-A connections, which I could plug in my Apple cable. While that worked for me, it did have some minor hiccups for me and did not charge right away. Could be the extra hub, but it did work the first 1-2 times, but then it did work for me on third time, after I waited a bit to plug in and try again. Just in case you tried and gave up on first or second try, or did not wait long enough. Probably something to do with that extra hub in there, but it was not rock solid for me when I tested. If you have something else that is USB-C, give that a try. I only have the hub. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the advice. I will try it again. Didn’t think it could be timing but why not. I appreciate the sharing.

I have the same issue like yours when I took my delivery two weeks ago. My rear ports only charge with Apple cable but not with aftermarket cable. Front port for the wireless pad work with both cables. Mobile service tech came and just made a note but didn’t fix it since the Apple cable works. Let me know if they fix yours.

• Informative
Reactions: Fredwolf
Thank you kindly for the reply. Tesla is already coming out to install the automatic homelink garage door opening so they are going to take a look then. I appreciate the response.

I got homelink installed like four days ago and I don't know how I'm ever going to own another car that doesn't open the garage door for me when I come home and close it when I leave.

I have the same issue like yours when I took my delivery two weeks ago. My rear ports only charge with Apple cable but not with aftermarket cable. Front port for the wireless pad work with both cables. Mobile service tech came and just made a note but didn’t fix it since the Apple cable works. Let me know if they fix yours.

I have an anker USB-C to Lightning, and it's wonky on the rear ports. It works, but takes a few times to get the iPad to start charging. I don't know if it's the car ports or the fact USB-c to Lightning, I guess everyone has the same issue?

I replied on another thread this morning that I suspect that the amperage of the rear ports is insufficient to charge some devices. iPads require a 5a adapter for example and won't charge off the small adapter that used to come with iPhones. It sounds like the amps at the rear ports is marginal for that. I don't know how long the wiring is, but I'm suspecting that it's long enough so there isn't enough power for devices that require 5amps.

My rear ports are working (early 2020 build). I plugged-in my wireless headset and it charges. I don't have any high-power USB-C sinks.

Sorry for the dark pic. A red LED lit-up meaning that it's charging.

MY_rear_USBC_ports.jpg

Having same issue with rear ports in my model 3. This is especially frustrating since I took delivery last week only to find out after i got home that Tesla did not install the front charging ports due to supply shortage. Nice if they would have told me beforehand. If i use apple usbc lightning the rear ports works fine. I have other usb a to usbc cables and adapters and the usbc connector is just a bit wider than the apple and will not fit. The non apple usbc adapters fit and work well on my pc but not the Tesla. What gives?

I have just purchased the USB C to USB adaptor to allow me to use a cable to charge iPhones In the rear and the ports don't work. I then tried the front ports and they don't work either. Tried various adaptors and various cables including Apple lightening cable and aftermarket.

I guess this is a service request rather than something I am not doing correctly?

Did you ever figure out this issue? I did the USB C retrofit for my 2018 model 3 a few years ago, and just realized we might have the same issue. Apple lighting cables work fine to charge our iPhones, but third party lightning cables and (Apple's official) Apple Watch chargers don't seem to get power from the rear ports.