Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear USBs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m getting a bit annoyed that the Tesla SR+ doesn’t have footwell lights. It’s there so I don’t see why it’s not enabled on a £40,000 cutting edge tech car. To distinguish between the models, they should’ve taken out other features in exchange.

Anyways, I’m gonna do something about it. I was thinking of using the rear usbs to power some LEDs which I will install under the foot wells — maybe even fancy colour changing ones in case I’m feeling a bit tacky.

only question is.... do the usbs come on with unlock and go off with lock? I could test this myself but I don’t have anything usb powered that I can check with. If nobody knows then I’ll order a usb light off amazon or something and try it out.

In return for your help, I’ll post a tutorial on how to do it if I can get it done successfully

Reactions: drewpost
So I’m getting a bit annoyed that the Tesla SR+ doesn’t have footwell lights. It’s there so I don’t see why it’s not enabled on a £40,000 cutting edge tech car. To distinguish between the models, they should’ve taken out other features in exchange.

Anyways, I’m gonna do something about it. I was thinking of using the rear usbs to power some LEDs which I will install under the foot wells — maybe even fancy colour changing ones in case I’m feeling a bit tacky.

only question is.... do the usbs come on with unlock and go off with lock? I could test this myself but I don’t have anything usb powered that I can check with. If nobody knows then I’ll order a usb light off amazon or something and try it out.

In return for your help, I’ll post a tutorial on how to do it if I can get it done successfully

There's power to the glove box light ... could you splice into that?

I find that the rear USB’s are live anytime the car is ‘awake’. So when I first park it up they live live for a good while, before the car goes into sleep mode.

I found this out by experimenting with a spare nest cam from my house. It’s live and transmits pictures of my driveway over WiFi for a while when I return home, but goes off after 40 minutes or so. With sentry mode on, it stays on all night.

could add a couple of these in rear

£1.20 16%OFF | Car Styling USB Atmosphere LED Lamp Light for Tesla Roadster Model 3 Model S Model X Car-styling Hot New car Accessories

I find that the rear USB’s are live anytime the car is ‘awake’. So when I first park it up they live live for a good while, before the car goes into sleep mode.

I found this out by experimenting with a spare nest cam from my house. It’s live and transmits pictures of my driveway over WiFi for a while when I return home, but goes off after 40 minutes or so. With sentry mode on, it stays on all night.

do you happen to know if it’s the same for the 12v cigarette lighter? I plugged a light into it but it seems to stay on. Not sure for how long though

So put some lights in that run off the 12v auxiliary. Usually turns off within a few minutes. With no obvious pattern. Since plugging in though, remains permanently on it seems.
Anyone figured out how the car decides to switch off the auxiliary power yet? Posting pictures soon

6ADB557A-F04C-4544-A127-8C3CA01BA6D0.jpeg