Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear view blacks out (but only when I REALLY need it)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

smartypnz

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2013
Monterey Peninsula
Been about a month. The rear view goes dark (and occasionally right & left go out separately).
Made appt for service - took it in. Was told could be the cameras have a 'memory' problem where the image 'burns in'.
Uhhhh... burns in as dark? News to me - although I have been out of electronic eng for 15 years.
Then was told they are seeing this problem to some cars after one of the previous updates.
I should wait for upcoming update that will correct this.
Got 44.10.1 couple days ago - reset - video still the same

Only reason I posted is to see if others have experienced this.
M3, Dec '17 car number just a bit over 1000. Edge of 30k miles.

'No Autopilot available' notice - probably due to cameras being intermittent.

I've posted a few times about this in the past month and haven't gotten too many replies. It doesn't seem like a widespread problem. My backup cam doesn't work after the car has been parked for a while with Sentry Mode running and it doesn't start working again until after the car sleeps. The repeaters are fine and haven't gone out (yet). Mobile service couldn't figure out what's wrong and even replaced the backup camera. I have an appointment to take it in but I have a feeling they're not going to be able to diagnose or fix the problem. It has persisted through like 3 or 4 software updates. It's at the point where I have to disable Sentry Mode to make sure the camera works, but that defeats the whole purpose of Sentry.

Haven't been using Sentry, so that data point doesn't apply in my case. Still, if I was to blame an update it would have been 3 updates ago, or 40.4 when it started happening. My latest - 44.10.1 did not fix.
Hopefully, I won't get too reliant on the backup camera and in that fraction of a second that it disappears - I won't harm anyone (left, right, and rearview mirrors are standard, but a quick glimpse elsewhere which becomes diasabled can ruin lives).
Rearview mirror does not show below rear window.

I've posted a few times about this in the past month and haven't gotten too many replies. It doesn't seem like a widespread problem. My backup cam doesn't work after the car has been parked for a while with Sentry Mode running and it doesn't start working again until after the car sleeps. The repeaters are fine and haven't gone out (yet). Mobile service couldn't figure out what's wrong and even replaced the backup camera. I have an appointment to take it in but I have a feeling they're not going to be able to diagnose or fix the problem. It has persisted through like 3 or 4 software updates. It's at the point where I have to disable Sentry Mode to make sure the camera works, but that defeats the whole purpose of Sentry.
When you open the trunk does your trunk light flash on and off?