Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear View Camera - atleast 5 sec delay in coming on (always black initially)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confirming that I’m on 8.5 since day of purchase (a month ago) and rear view camera blackout started happening last week and getting worse. Not sure how a software issue can “get worse” overtime. I thought that’s reserved for physically deteriorating components. Hoping that it gets fixed eventually by Tesla.

I'm on 8.5, and the reverse camera issue has been noticeable. It's usually on within a few seconds, but by then I'm already backed out of my parking space. Learning to trust the camera took a bit of time, but now I'm too used to it to go back to the old way of actually turning and looking for myself.

This was never an issue in my 1971 Plymouth Valiant 4 door, that car had the aerodynamics and general shape of a large shoe box stacked on top of an even bigger shoe box, but it did have a lot of glass space and pretty good visibility in all directions. Some things, the old cars did better.

I have this issue as well (sometimes upwards of 30 seconds before it activates). I mentioned it while I was in for service, and they said it was a known firmware issue and that supposedly a fix is coming in the upcoming .12 or .16 firmware.