Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear View Camera - atleast 5 sec delay in coming on (always black initially)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else having serious delays with the backup camera coming on. Mine takes atleast 5secs after going black initially. This is a problem and needs to be fixed. I know you can do a reset, but it still comes back eventually and one shouldnt have to reset so often. Any other car, the backup camera comes on right away. This only starting happening after the last two updates.

What update version are you on? My experience was, it certainly was not 5 seconds (and I am betting it is not 5 seconds for you either, but obviously dont know your specific situation).. it was just "much" longer than on the previous updates. Long enough to be noticeable. In my case, the backup camera activation went from "almost instant" to around 2-3 seconds (timed it a couple times actually).

In any case, when I got updated from 8.3 (which had a few slightly irritating issues like this one) to 8.5, this issue went away.

BTW... who are you directing the "this is a problem and needs to be fixed!" statements to? this is not a tesla controlled forum and while I am sure there are people at tesla who monitor forums like this one, that statment is just directed to other tesla owners.

Unless you are just wanting to "rail at the moon", not sure what the purpose of that part of your statement is?

Yes I’m getting this also. Mine is actually a lot longer than 5 seconds must of the time. I can back out of my garage, down my entire driveway, and into the street before it comes on... a good 20 seconds. Sometimes it never comes on at all. Resets do seem to help but after a few more reverses it comes back again.

Yes, I am seeing this, and agree that it's anywhere from 0 to 20 (maybe more) seconds.

Having said that, I've seen this behavior come and go a few times throughout my update history, so I do expect it to go away again in a future update.

I will say it a little more kindly than jjrandorin, but you should submit a bug report to Tesla from the car when this happens to report it to Tesla. And jjrandorin, I think the OP is simply trying to get confirmation that this is not a malfunction of his own camera, but maybe a more widespread issue (which I think it is).

@jjrandorin, it is usually more than 5seconds. And my comment on "who this fix should be directed to", this was already escalated to tesla support. I was mainly saying in general that this appears to be an issue that should be looked into. I am also on software 2019.8.3 da116a6.

I do appreciate your response. We are all on the same boat here, people who love their teslas and want everything to work correctly and if not use a forum for guidance/support besides in addition to reaching out to tesla support for assistance.

Last edited:
Try turning your head back until the next update fixes it. I know it feels unnatural but it usually works. :D

The Model 3 has HORRIBLE visibility out the back window (that and I'm not as flexible as I used to be). Spotting things that are low on the ground behind you is practically impossible. For better or for worse, the rear camera is becoming a necessity in modern vehicles.

This started with the 2019.8.4 update for me. When I got 2019.8.5, at first I thought it was fixed, but while it's improved I still get a short delay occasionally. Very annoying. I wonder what they changed in the camera handling to cause this ...

i get a black screen during the day for 2-3 seconds. at night it's fine. however, once I start creeping reverse, the camera activates...so weird

It started doing this when I would selectively turn on sentry mode when I'm out and parked in public.

Didn't have this issue prior to using sentry mode or before latest update to 8.5

• Informative
Reactions: Common_Loon
What update version are you on? My experience was, it certainly was not 5 seconds (and I am betting it is not 5 seconds for you either, but obviously dont know your specific situation).. it was just "much" longer than on the previous updates. Long enough to be noticeable. In my case, the backup camera activation went from "almost instant" to around 2-3 seconds (timed it a couple times actually).

In any case, when I got updated from 8.3 (which had a few slightly irritating issues like this one) to 8.5, this issue went away.

BTW... who are you directing the "this is a problem and needs to be fixed!" statements to? this is not a tesla controlled forum and while I am sure there are people at tesla who monitor forums like this one, that statment is just directed to other tesla owners.

Unless you are just wanting to "rail at the moon", not sure what the purpose of that part of your statement is?

Sorry @jjrandorin, this is a problem and better for people to know about so they are not caught off guard. Since this last update 8.5, I've been experiencing seconds of black screen when I go into reverse. Started off very brief and quickly went to screen. Today when I was out twice in the car it was definitely taking several seconds longer and think 5 seconds would be a reasonable estimate. I don't recall any black screen issue when on 5.15. Went out for dinner tonight and well it got worse, I have no back up camera. Totally black. Concerned I have lost rear camera all together now until an update fixes it. Sent bug report/s. Did try reboot on two different occasions when we got the black screen. Still black. I did check the rear camera to make sure there was no obstruction btw, which there wasn't. Even tried accessing the camera from the screen controls.Turned the car off, exited and came back in hoping that might have resolved it.

Interestingly husband got 8.5 on his Model S last night and while we were out for dinner tonight he got another update. He was surprised to get one right after the other a day apart. He's now on 8.6. I'm hoping I'm getting an update tonight and it fixes this black screen issue.

Last edited:
Sorry @jjrandorin, this is a problem and better for people to know about so they are not caught off guard. Since this last update 8.5, I've been experiencing seconds of black screen when I go into reverse. Started off very brief and quickly went to screen. Today when I was out twice in the car it was definitely taking several seconds longer and think 5 seconds would be a reasonable estimate. I don't recall any black screen issue when on 5.15. Went out for dinner tonight and well it got worse, I have no back up camera. Totally black. Concerned I have lost rear camera all together now until an update fixes it. Sent bug report/s. Did try reboot on two different occasions when we got the black screen. Still black. I did check the rear camera to make sure there was no obstruction btw, which there wasn't. Even tried accessing the camera from the screen controls.Turned the car off, exited and came back in hoping that might have resolved it.

Interestingly husband got 8.5 on his Model S last night and while we were out for dinner tonight he got another update. He was surprised to get one right after the other a day apart. He's now on 8.6. I'm hoping I'm getting an update tonight and it fixes this black screen issue.

I think you and a few others in this thread missed the intent of my post. It was not "why are you posting this?" I dont believe I said that. I said "who are you directing the "this is a problem and needs to be fixed" line at.

I agree its a problem, and I even agree it needs to be fixed. I get a bit tired of people here "complaining to the air" with definitive, managerial style statements is all. "This is a problem and needs to be fixed!" is normally directed at people who can actually DO something about the problem, unless someone wants to just complain into the air.

I see no problem with people sharing notes about issues / problems etc, and I see no issue with people being frustrated. My issue was with the specific verbiage of that specific statement.

I had the specific problem you describe (black screen, no camera) on firmware 50.6, It so happened that I was on my way to the airport that day, too. The airport parking I was at had a charging station... that I had to back up into.

The model 3 is almost impossible to backup properly into a small space with no backup camera, at least for me, due to how low I have to put the seat, and the slope of the rear of the car. I had a hard time getting into the space backing in properly with no camera due to the lack of vision from inside the car, and I HAD to back into that space to use the charging station I was going to be parked while on my business trip.

Nothing fixed it other than the car going to sleep.

So, to be 1000% clear, no where am I saying "why are we talking about this?" I was asking about the "specific" words used that I asked about, because one thing I have noticed here is that people (not just OP) have a specific desire to say things at "tesla" like they are responding to "tesla" on these boards, when its mostly just a bunch of users trying to help each other.

I wouldnt have even had an issue if the statement was " Tesla really needs to fix this problem!", because thats directed at "tesla" and not at the posters on the board. The phrasing used means it was (maybe unintentionally) directed at people posing on the board, instead of tesla.

Waay more words than I wanted to try to explain what I ment, but its important to me that if someone disagrees, they at least know what the intent was.

Last edited:
I suppose there might be newbies who think Tesla Motors Club forum is monitored by Tesla so your comment @jjrandorin might be a PSA to them. If so, new owners please note you should send in a "bug report" to Tesla from your car when it happens so they can review the situation (thumb on right scroll wheel, say "Bug Report" and give a very brief description; car will let you know it was sent).

I however didn't take OP's statement as anything other than a statement that the issue needed to be fixed (he didn't add an exclamation point so didn't think he was worked up about it). I didn't say anything in my posts above, but last night when we drove home with no backup camera, I was going to charge the car since I was down to less than 20%; and like you found it to be a tough situation to be in under those circumstance due to not being able to judge well how close you'd be to hitting anything. We decided to just park the car and hope it corrected on its own (which it did a bit later). When we went out later though it was with the intention one of us would keep an eye out as the other backed the car into place. I don't envy you for having to do it on your own and under pressure to catch a flight and needing to charge. BTW since we didn't try backing the car in without use of the rear camera, when you did, did the proximity alerts or distance indicators work?

Goes to show how much we rely on these systems as rear windows become higher and narrower on the cars.

Reactions: jjrandorin
With the most recent update I too am having the delay in rear camera turning on. In addition, my map which you can see behind the camera 'pop-up' screen appears to be "spazing out" and glitching whilst I'm in reverse. I'm not sure if it's a GPU processor issue that is delaying the camera pop up and over-taxing the map display?? I have no idea how the model 3 centre screen is run computing wise... just a theory!

Reactions: Common_Loon
I managed to get into the space, but took some doing, and I had to straighten out a couple times. I honestly dont remember about the proximity alerts. I was in a parking garage (that had tesla parking), and trying to park, take the shuttle to the terminal, etc etc.

It made me realize how bad the vision out the back of the car is, without the camera. Anyway, point taken on the other topic. Could be me being a bit sensitive to "this is a problem, and needs to be fixed" because of the way I normally hear that statement used.

Thanks for the call out on it.

Reactions: SMAlset