Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear view camera bug - please be aware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I usually have the rear-view camera constantly running on the upper half of my screen and use it as my main rear view display while driving since the actual rear view mirror has pretty obstructed view. Love the wide-angle view from the camera and how it picks up the blind spots well.

Couple weeks ago, on 2018.2 firmware, I started off my morning commute as usual. The camera image was a bit washed out with a yellowish hue but didn't think much of it. During the drive, I was in the middle lane in a 3-lane road and prior to making a lane change to the left lane, I checked and found the lane was clear in the rear view camera display. But just prior to actually changing lanes, I caught a vehicle in the left lane out of the corner of my eye and aborted the lane change. I aborted the lane change so no issues but left me confused on what was going on. I then realized the camera was displaying a perfectly MIRRORED image of the rear view! The left and right side of the images were flipped! It was a bit disorienting but since I was now aware, it didn't cause any problems for the rest of the drive. Once I reached work, I rebooted the center scree and it corrected the display. Good news, I have not had a similar issue recur.

Seems like just a glitch that was easily fixed with a reboot but it can be potentially dangerous if someone relies too much on that rear view display. I now double-check before I start driving to make sure the rear view image is orientated correctly. Just wanted to share the details with fellow TMC members so everyone is aware.

Does anyone else do the 1 second head flip as a backup for every lane change? Been driving for decades and it's automatic for me. But for every 1 out of maybe 500 or maybe even 1000 or more head flips there's a car in the blind spot and it makes be think **** if I didn't do that I would have hit him and then it keeps the tradition alive to keep doing it but it resets the counter?

Reactions: hiroshiy
Does anyone else do the 1 second head flip as a backup for every lane change? Been driving for decades and it's automatic for me. But for every 1 out of maybe 500 or maybe even 1000 or more head flips there's a car in the blind spot and it makes be think **** if I didn't do that I would have hit him and then it keeps the tradition alive to keep doing it but it resets the counter?

Yes, me! ;) Otherwise I would have ended up in an accident couple weeks back....

Even with the quick head-flip check, a mirror image of the rear view display is still disorienting and potentially dangerous

I usually have the rear-view camera constantly running on the upper half of my screen and use it as my main rear view display while driving since the actual rear view mirror has pretty obstructed view. Love the wide-angle view from the camera and how it picks up the blind spots well.

Couple weeks ago, on 2018.2 firmware, I started off my morning commute as usual. The camera image was a bit washed out with a yellowish hue but didn't think much of it. During the drive, I was in the middle lane in a 3-lane road and prior to making a lane change to the left lane, I checked and found the lane was clear in the rear view camera display. But just prior to actually changing lanes, I caught a vehicle in the left lane out of the corner of my eye and aborted the lane change. I aborted the lane change so no issues but left me confused on what was going on. I then realized the camera was displaying a perfectly MIRRORED image of the rear view! The left and right side of the images were flipped! It was a bit disorienting but since I was now aware, it didn't cause any problems for the rest of the drive. Once I reached work, I rebooted the center scree and it corrected the display. Good news, I have not had a similar issue recur.

Seems like just a glitch that was easily fixed with a reboot but it can be potentially dangerous if someone relies too much on that rear view display. I now double-check before I start driving to make sure the rear view image is orientated correctly. Just wanted to share the details with fellow TMC members so everyone is aware.
I had the same issue with with the mirror image on the camera while backing into a parking space ... i thought i was going insane ... i kept ending up outside the parking space lines .... i reset the screen and it has not occurred again ... it was also some time in February 2018