Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear view camera is blurry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I have a 2020 LR Model 3 (just prior to chrome delete, longer range, heat pump, power trunk etc. :(). For at least months now, I've noticed that the rear view back up camera image is blurry. I try to clean it routinely with Rain-X and microfiber towels, but the blurriness persists.

My wife JUST took delivery of a 2023 Model Y, and I instantly noticed how much clearer her rear camera image is. Here they are for comparison.

My question-- has anyone requested repair for this under warranty? If so, what was your experience? I'm worried that Tesla will say that this is due to normal external wear and tear and is not covered, as they have told me in the past for the ridiculous amount of paint chipped off my rocker panels after one Pennsylvania winter.

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    947.9 KB · Views: 381
  • Y.png
    Y.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 377
Hi all, I have a 2020 LR Model 3 (just prior to chrome delete, longer range, heat pump, power trunk etc. :(). For at least months now, I've noticed that the rear view back up camera image is blurry. I try to clean it routinely with Rain-X and microfiber towels, but the blurriness persists.

My wife JUST took delivery of a 2023 Model Y, and I instantly noticed how much clearer her rear camera image is. Here they are for comparison.

My question-- has anyone requested repair for this under warranty? If so, what was your experience? I'm worried that Tesla will say that this is due to normal external wear and tear and is not covered, as they have told me in the past for the ridiculous amount of paint chipped off my rocker panels after one Pennsylvania winter.
I did in December. My rear cam was like yours, and my recollection was that it was like your wife's rear cam, nice and crisp in comparison. Personally, I think the plastic lens cover gets micro-scratched over the years, leading to the softness. I no longer rub the lens with my thumb, I squirt it with a bottle of water, to clear it.

Scheduled an appt, and they looked at it and replaced it under warranty, (I didn't ask or suggest for it to be warranty work because I was going to have it replaced regardless) one week before my 4yr warranty expired!

Upvote 0
@KenC, i think you're right. Tesla just replaced mine under warranty, even though technician thought the surface of the lens was probably all scratched up. I could also see diffuse swirling in the surface myself. Sometimes Tesla service stinks, and sometimes it's wonderful! New rear-view camera view compared to old are attached.

I don't want to have to replace the camera again, even though it's relatively easy and cheap if done outside of warranty. Anyone have experience with this ukkocamera.com? I just ordered a set.

Attachments

• 3-old.png
    3-old.png
    643.7 KB · Views: 338
  • 3-new.png
    3-new.png
    968.8 KB · Views: 249
Reactions: Midpack
Upvote 0
Yeah, shocking difference! No idea about Ukko, but it does give me the idea that maybe I should put some kind of film to protect against micro-scratching.
I thought the rear camera lens was glass, not plastic. Mine is still clear after almost 5 years and 102,500 miles. When it is dirty I just gently wipe it with my finger. The lens sure feels like glass. I'm wondering if the camera haze you have is due to some coating wearing out or something else. One way to tell if maybe you have scratches on the lens is to lightly wet it or wipe it with a moist cloth and see if the image looks better. The water would help to fill in the scratches and possible help the image look better.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0
@KenC, i think you're right. Tesla just replaced mine under warranty, even though technician thought the surface of the lens was probably all scratched up. I could also see diffuse swirling in the surface myself. Sometimes Tesla service stinks, and sometimes it's wonderful! New rear-view camera view compared to old are attached.

I don't want to have to replace the camera again, even though it's relatively easy and cheap if done outside of warranty. Anyone have experience with this ukkocamera.com? I just ordered a set.
I'm also going to order the Ukkocam film set and try it out, thanks for the tip.

• Informative
Upvote 0
Here is an update of how the UkkoCam product is working so far. Each package comes with two flexible PPF-like round pieces. You clean the lens with the included alcohol wipe, then use the included tweezers to peel one of the protective covers from the backing and apply to the lens. Press on the film so that it fully sticks to the camera lens.

Seems to repel grime and dust well, but the effect will likely wear out after some time. Good thing it comes with two.

Attachments

• PXL_20230303_135414872.jpg
    PXL_20230303_135414872.jpg
    775.9 KB · Views: 217
  • PXL_20230303_135410746.jpg
    PXL_20230303_135410746.jpg
    858.1 KB · Views: 221
  • Informative
Upvote 0