Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear view camera is blurry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I have a 2020 LR Model 3 (just prior to chrome delete, longer range, heat pump, power trunk etc. :(). For at least months now, I've noticed that the rear view back up camera image is blurry. I try to clean it routinely with Rain-X and microfiber towels, but the blurriness persists.

My wife JUST took delivery of a 2023 Model Y, and I instantly noticed how much clearer her rear camera image is. Here they are for comparison.

My question-- has anyone requested repair for this under warranty? If so, what was your experience? I'm worried that Tesla will say that this is due to normal external wear and tear and is not covered, as they have told me in the past for the ridiculous amount of paint chipped off my rocker panels after one Pennsylvania winter.

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    947.9 KB · Views: 384
  • Y.png
    Y.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 380
I did try that, the side cameras are so clear it really makes the rear one standout as to how bad it really is.
Exactly. That's what made me go to Tesla Service. As noted above, they replaced it under warranty. I now, no longer, rub it with my thumb, but keep a squirt bottle in the trunk side cubby. I use that to squirt the lens whenever I think it's dirty. My theory, is that the lens gets micro scratched over time by licking your thumb and rubbing the lens. Or, just licking the lens!

Upvote 0
Tesla mobile service have just arrived, I also asked if they could look at the rear passenger side window dropping. In all fairness they seem really good so far :)

The guy looked at the camera and said, "doesn't look like any moisture in there, I will replace the camera and harness for you, I will also replace the window regulator and see how we get on!"

Fingers crossed :)

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0
Has anyone tried this? Just curious as to if it really works

Upvote 0
I had this issue with my 2021 Model 3. I cleaned the lense with alcohol and microfiber cloth with no resolve. I found that using Triple Diamond metal polish worked wonders. It took the oxidation and scratches off from all the grime from the road. It’s now looking brand new again! Definitely recommend!

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0
FWIW, I just replaced the rear facing camera on my 2020 M3 LR AWD. The image was quite blurry, but now it's fully restored. The cost was $125 CAD plus tax, and it took me about 20 minutes to replace the part.
I also tried to polish the lens (pretty sure it's plastic), but to no avail. This is what the old lens looks like after being abused by my thumb for four years:

20240328_141905.jpg

From now on, I'll just use a small spray bottle and a microfiber cloth. I hope it'll last longer than the original part.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and Braumin
Upvote 0