Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear view camera malfunction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same problem since last week. As an average it works once a day now. There are no recent updates done on my model S.
Current release : 2018.50.6
Tesla Netherlands is unaware of the problem.
Is there any info on yjis problem?

February 2019 Build - Model S - Current Release 2019.12.1 d9eaf40 - March 11th delivery - this problem has continued through approx. 3 updates. I leave the car - lock it - come back and find that the rear camera displays a white screen when the car starts. I first thought it was dependent upon when the dash displays that the 'systems are powering up' but have ruled that out now. Rebooting fixes the problem.
I too have experienced, since I took delivery, where the radio locks up - I change it to the USB drive and then go back to the radio which seems to work ok after that. A bit worrisome as I have never experienced these problems with the other Ss that I have owned previously (2013s and 2015). Each time the rear view camera malfunctions I call it in. They tell me it is a known problem and that they are still working on it - some of these updates are supposed to have fixed this intermittent problem.

Same here. Dealer keeps telling me it's known, and fix coming. Been happening since the car was new a year ago. Been through 20 updates, not fixed. The dealer swears it's not hardware related. Anyone find a resolution, other than a constant 2 finger reboot ?

I had a similar issue with my Dec 2016 Model X. Every time the issue occurred, I performed a Bug Report (say Bug Report or tap+hold the control panel button (bottom left of your screen unitl it gives an indication that logs have been sent on your Instrument Cluster)). Once I had about two or three bug reports, I called the service center and informed them that I sent in Bug Reports. They downloaded them and only then were they able to escalate to engineering who determine that they should replace the actual camera. This is what they did:

Technician inspected camera and replaced the back up camera.

Parts Replaced or Added Part Quantity

BACKUP CAMERA (SEMCO) (1061269-00- 1)

Same here but I do think it's a software problem and that it might be fixed in 2019.12.1.2

Theres a significant delay when the camera shows up now but it shows up every time. They probably added a sleep function to avoid a race condition lol.

Thought I was going crazy... glad it's not only me... been happening on my 2018 MS since I took delivery on March 30... it happens every day, every other day, every three days (so, random)... and I can't get it to display without a reboot. Car is in service now and told them about it, and was met with a "we're aware and working on a fix" reply as well. If it makes anyone feel better, the loaner MS 75D they gave me exhibits the same behavior. J/K, that's not going to make anyone feel better other than to note that it probably is a software bug, vs. any type of hardware issue.

2019 Model S - build Feb. 2019. Rel: 2019.16.2 73d3F3c.
I have to reboot approx. 4x/week. I have owned Teslas since 2013 and have never encountered this kind of problem.

Also my Summon doesn't work when the car is parked in the garage. Homelink is configured for the garage door. So when I use Summon to back the car out - it will open the garage door and then the Summon shuts down. Consistently, Anyone have this problem. One support person said that he had heard it works when the car is not connected to the home network but with LTE. Tried both and tried using the key fob as well as the phone app. Same behavior - lights flash to let me know it is in Summon mode - as soon as the garage door starts to open the flashing lights stop and the car exists Summon mode after about 5 seconds of sitting there and does not attempt to back out of the garage. I have sent bug reports and have talked to support and they have sent this situation to the tech team. Still waiting to get some sort of feedback. Anyone else have this problem?

2019 Model S - build Feb. 2019. Rel: 2019.16.2 73d3F3c.
I have to reboot approx. 4x/week. I have owned Teslas since 2013 and have never encountered this kind of problem.

Also my Summon doesn't work when the car is parked in the garage. Homelink is configured for the garage door. So when I use Summon to back the car out - it will open the garage door and then the Summon shuts down. Consistently, Anyone have this problem. One support person said that he had heard it works when the car is not connected to the home network but with LTE. Tried both and tried using the key fob as well as the phone app. Same behavior - lights flash to let me know it is in Summon mode - as soon as the garage door starts to open the flashing lights stop and the car exists Summon mode after about 5 seconds of sitting there and does not attempt to back out of the garage. I have sent bug reports and have talked to support and they have sent this situation to the tech team. Still waiting to get some sort of feedback. Anyone else have this problem?

I'm having the exact same problems with the rear camera (same software build). I can't speak to the Summon and Homelink issues since I don't use those functions. The rear camera situation, however, is so bad even reboots don't resolve it. Oddly, I can get an artifact image if I touch and slightly move the rear camera display around on the screen - but only for a second or two (and it's clearly not what's currently behind me). Tesla has suggested bringing it into service, which I might do but I'm not confident of how much time it might take to resolve. I'm hopeful for a software update to come through and fix it. Support had suggested that the firmware update probably didn't take - not so sure of that.