Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear View Camera (pre-2.5)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
augkuo has installed both front facing and a rear facing camera connected to a pioneer head unit. does anyone have this setup with the JVC NX-5000 (the head unit stock in a 2.0 roadster with the "electronics group" option)? i am intrigued by the idea of having a forward facing camera but reading the NX-5000 manual it looks like there is only a single composite video input.

augkuo has installed both front facing and a rear facing camera connected to a pioneer head unit. does anyone have this setup with the JVC NX-5000 (the head unit stock in a 2.0 roadster with the "electronics group" option)? i am intrigued by the idea of having a forward facing camera but reading the NX-5000 manual it looks like there is only a single composite video input.

I think you'd need an external video switch.

It's easy enough to get the video display up while you're driving. Toggle the left side rocker switch left to put it in radio mode (i.e. not GPS mode). Then hit the DISP button in the upper right corner a couple of times. It will first show the speed display, then the video input.

camera.jpg

I just bought a Jensen camera (currently en-route) and am planning on doing the installation myself. My biggest headache (that I can think of so far) is how to get the wire from inside the cabin outside to the rear license. I am worried about penetrating any waterproofing. I am also worried that I may need to drop the undercarriage shield (looks like a real pain without a lift!) so I hope I can snake the wire back or perhaps only loosen one side of the shield to be able to get my hand in to tie-wrap the wire in place.

Has anyone done this themselves? I have looked online and here, but have not come up with anything.

Last edited:
Driver's side console removed:
IMG_20130119_110737.jpg

Console pulled out of the way, revealing the IPOD interface and the tip of the snake:
IMG_20130119_110745.jpg

Radio removed (a little frightening, now that I look at it!)
IMG_20130119_110753.jpg

I removed many, but not all of the screws holding the under carriage shield (it was easier than I thought)
IMG_20130119_110811.jpg

I put some double-sided tape on the IPOD interface box as I didn't like the idea of it rattling around
IMG_20130119_111516.jpg

Here is where the IPOD interface box lives now:
IMG_20130119_111614.jpg

When you go to pull the plastic trim on the door sill up, start from the front (I found that the velcro lifts off the body if you start from the back)
IMG_20130119_112243.jpg

I removed the rear light assembly (be careful of the washers in the next picture - they are easily dropped.)
IMG_20130119_123601.jpg

I noticed that the boot for the trunk release is shot, so I am going replace it
IMG_20130119_123604.jpg

Once I got the nuts off, I used a hemostat (everyone should know a doctor and have these in their took-kits) to get the washers out (when you remove the tail light assembly, these washers will to parts-unknown.
IMG_20130119_134650.jpg

Finally got around to installing the backup camera.
It was not a trivial job and TM in Miami was instrumental in helping me over the phone.
Apparently the radio is originally installed with a minimal harness that did not include the connection wires for the video input or the backup indicator. TM graciously sent me a harness they had, so I was able to complete the job relatively neatly (of course I could have cobbled the wires into the plastic plug, but this made a very nice installation.)
I used a coat hanger to route the wires behind the dashboard and through the door sill.
It turned out that I didn't have to use the Zener diode to clamp the backup voltage from the rear light. I have a new(er) PEM, so perhaps that had something to do with it.
I mounted the camera on the top of the black plastic diffuser and I think it looks pretty good there - its almost invisible.
As I was running wires, I saw that the IPOD "box" was just laying behind the door jamb. so I added some double-sided tape to fix it in place.

Here is a video of the camera in use:
VID 20130128 110114 - YouTube

Here is the camera mounted in the rear:
IMG_20130128_141414.jpg
IMG_20130128_141430.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20130119_110737.jpg
    IMG_20130119_110737.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_20130119_110745.jpg
    IMG_20130119_110745.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_20130119_110753.jpg
    IMG_20130119_110753.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_20130119_110811.jpg
    IMG_20130119_110811.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_20130119_111614.jpg
    IMG_20130119_111614.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_20130119_123550.jpg
    IMG_20130119_123550.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: BBone
Nice work and pictures - so from the door sill, how did you get the wire outside to the back?
I have a fiberglass snake rod that I pushed from back to front.
First I dropped (much) of the skid plate on the driver's side
then I pushed the snake along the right side of the aluminum box structure (there is something blocking the inside of the box itself - that probably would have been perfect) that runs under the door sill.
I had to reach into the compartment above the sill to grab the snake (there is a picture of the snake coming out of this compartment)

JVC Unit will not turn camera on automatically when in reverse

I just installed a JVC backup camera into my JVC NX-5000 and the Connection menu item shows the reverse signal is good. I have interlock set to reverse and the camera will not come on.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lee

Does anyone have any suggestions?
I'm fitting the Parrot Smart and a ZENEC ZE-RCV50LP Camera to a 2.0 Roadster. Tesla installed the 2 DIN dash upgrade and I'm installing the electronics. I have discovered a reversing signal in the main audio loom which switches between 3.2V (D/P/N) and 12.8V (R) and is colour coded white with blue stripe. This signal is incompatible with my camera. I'm building a simple circuit to provide the camera with a signal that swings from 0V to 12V.

Is the voltage swing of your reverse wire compatible with your camera?

I'm fitting the Parrot Smart and a ZENEC ZE-RCV50LP Camera to a 2.0 Roadster. Tesla installed the 2 DIN dash upgrade and I'm installing the electronics. I have discovered a reversing signal in the main audio loom which switches between 3.2V (D/P/N) and 12.8V (R) and is colour coded white with blue stripe. This signal is incompatible with my camera. I'm building a simple circuit to provide the camera with a signal that swings from 0V to 12V.

The camera is the JVC KV-CM20 the instructions don't say too much on it.
GENERAL:
Power Requirement: 12.0 V (11 V to 16 V allowable) Max. current consumption: 60 mA Grounding System: Negative ground

http://www.jvc.fr/files/instruction_manual/kvcm20k_lvt2349-001c_fr.pdf

Kevin,

The 12V is presumably fine, so just the 3.2V needs to be brought down to 0V. The suggested solution I heard was a Zener diode with Zener voltage around 5V.

P.S. the 3.2V 12.8V should be fine for the parrot.

Out of curiosity, would you be able to describe where you found the reverse signal? I'm installing a new stereo in my 2.0, and for the life of me I can't find a reverse signal wire that matches your description or the wiring schematic I have for the car. Any clues would be greatly appreciated. :)

Out of curiosity, would you be able to describe where you found the reverse signal? I'm installing a new stereo in my 2.0, and for the life of me I can't find a reverse signal wire that matches your description or the wiring schematic I have for the car. Any clues would be greatly appreciated. :)

It was in the panel just below the passenger vent. Sorry I don't have pictures. There may be some in earlier posts. Mine was an install of a rear view camera.