TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear view camera resolution upgraded?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by cynix, Oct 15, 2016.

1. cynix

cynix Member

I recently drove a loaner and noticed that its rear view camera's image quality is much better than the one on my car. I took a closer look at the cameras themselves and they appear physically different too. The new camera's image is unbelievably clear and you can easily see the grains on the asphalt, letters on distant signages, etc.

I walked around the local showroom and it appears that a car with VIN 128xxx has the old camera, but VIN 145xxx has the new camera, so it must have been upgraded somewhere between these VINs. (Both cars were post-facelift.)

Does anyone know if the camera can be retrofitted on a pre-facelift car?

[​IMG]

• Informative x 5
  2. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

I've noticed the same thing, but I'm not sure if it's new hardware or if I should chalk it up to micro abrasions of the lens cover over time.

3. green1

green1 Active Member

Better? it gets BETTER? Tesla already had the best rear view camera in the business by an extremely large margin, I'm not sure why they would waste their time trying to improve it any?

4. No2DinosaurFuel

Tesla is always improving their car. Like I said previously. Your car is outdated the moment you bought the car. The only way to keep up is never to buy the car to begin with.

It is nice tesla is improving the little things. They have a great car but it is the little things IMO that makes it a luxury experience.

5. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Why would you pay to upgrade a camera that is used infrequently and when the camera is already so good? Seems like a waste of money to me just to "keep up". Tesla needs to change the location of the camera to keep it from getting so dirty all the time. The quality is secondary.

6. cynix

cynix Member

I keep it open all the time and use it as a rear view mirror, since visibility in the actual mirror through the rear window is quite limited.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Ah that makes sense. I tried that a couple of times and it made me dizzy lol

• Like x 4
  8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I have the rear camera image present on the top of my center display continuously. Greatest rear view mirror ever.
    Exactly.

But I agree that it is usually useless in the rain and that needs to be addressed.

• Like x 4
  9. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

I know by law they can't get rid of rear view mirrors, but I wish they'd introduce cameras all around, allow the driver to see the feed on the screens, and record the feed.
    This rear view camera improvement ... well it's an improvement that nobody needed, and solves a problem nobody had.

10. animorph

animorph Member

Could be a step toward rear/blind spot camera monitoring for the new AP...

11. deonb

deonb Active Member

Sometimes upgrading to the latest mass produced better thing is cheaper than staying at obsolete technology.

• Like x 7
  12. supratachophobia

If you have an aftermarket subwoofer, you can turn it up and rain drops get reverberated off. Just a little pro tip for you.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 3
  13. cynix

cynix Member

If anyone has access to the Model S service manuals, could you please post the part number of the new camera and whether the manual says it's compatible with older cars?

• Helpful x 1
  14. cynix

cynix Member

The friendly folks at my local SC had a look at the parts catalogue, and confirmed that the camera has indeed been updated (multiple times even), with the latest update being in June. Unfortunately the parts manual says it's not compatible with older cars.

The new camera is rather cheap, so I'm tempted to just order one and see if I can replace it myself. My only concern is that it may end up frying something else in the car…

I wonder if those who have worked on the camera in the past (@artsci?) can shed some light on this?

15. supratachophobia

@wk057 would be another person to ask about this as well.

16. RDoc

RDoc S85D

It may not be compatible because it's higher resolution, that is the video signal is different. If so, your existing electronics likely can't handle it.

17. sorka

sorka Active Member

Could the camera be part of AP 2.0 yet to be announced?

18. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Of course it is! *EVERYTHING* is a part of AP 2.0 yet to be announced.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
  19. cynix

cynix Member

There's varying levels of "can't handle it" though. It'd be okay if I plug it in and my screen is blank. It's a whole different matter if I plug it in and my car blows up…

20. supratachophobia

Relax, it's not a Samsung camera, is it?

• Funny x 3