Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear view camera resolution upgraded?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would you pay to upgrade a camera that is used infrequently and when the camera is already so good? Seems like a waste of money to me just to "keep up". Tesla needs to change the location of the camera to keep it from getting so dirty all the time. The quality is secondary.
Maybe their supplier stopped making the old camera, or maybe they changed supplier.

O. M. G.!

I don't think these guys understand snow/ice/rain/mud. California living is too soft. Alert the driver to clean the camera?! Unless the camera NEVER has a problem, you'll either have to stop every few feet to clean them or just give up on AP in inclement weather. In MA, I found that the rear view camera lasted no more than a few feet before becoming obscured.

Color me highly skeptical of cameras "in an area where snow and ice buildup does not typically occur". I am a big big Tesla fan, and I love to drive in the snow in general, and I even love to drive my Model S in the snow... but IMHO, Tesla has placed non-dry weather conditions way low on its priority list.

Alan

P.S. OK, OK, NEVER is unreasonable. Let's quantify. I'll be content with five 9's availability. :)

We don't get much snow here, but rain and road muck is common 9 months out of the year. The backup camera becomes virtually useless after driving in a decent rain because of all the road schmutz that ends up plastered around the back hatch.

• Informative
Reactions: gabeincal
Which will help with a bit of interior condensation, or light exterior frost. It will do absolutely nothing for rain and while it will melt light snow, it has no way to remove the water after it does.

Without rear radar this car will never do full autonomy in any inclement weather.
O. M. G.!

I don't think these guys understand snow/ice/rain/mud. California living is too soft. Alert the driver to clean the camera?! Unless the camera NEVER has a problem, you'll either have to stop every few feet to clean them or just give up on AP in inclement weather. In MA, I found that the rear view camera lasted no more than a few feet before becoming obscured.

Color me highly skeptical of cameras "in an area where snow and ice buildup does not typically occur". I am a big big Tesla fan, and I love to drive in the snow in general, and I even love to drive my Model S in the snow... but IMHO, Tesla has placed non-dry weather conditions way low on its priority list.

Alan

P.S. OK, OK, NEVER is unreasonable. Let's quantify. I'll be content with five 9's availability. :)

Hopefully Tesla is working on some type of redundancy to keep the system working if something fails. Could be important for safety.

We don't get much snow here, but rain and road muck is common 9 months out of the year. The backup camera becomes virtually useless after driving in a decent rain because of all the road schmutz that ends up plastered around the back hatch.

Are there any suggestions to help keep the backup camera clean, would splash guards help ?

My Mercedes hid the camera under the emblem, which would flip open for the camera.

I expect the rear-facing cameras will end up at top of rear window. Tesla will introduce wiper/wash for rear, similar to wagons.

To minimize drag, the assembly could be in an aero housing above window. The housing is normally folded down, pivots up when wiping/wash is requested.
giphy.gif

I expect the rear-facing cameras will end up at top of rear window. Tesla will introduce wiper/wash for rear, similar to wagons.

To minimize drag, the assembly could be in an aero housing above window. The housing is normally folded down, pivots up when wiping/wash is requested.

The backup camera has to be mounted low so it can see the ground behind the car. Mercedes has done it best by retracting the camera when not in use. A high mounted camera would be good for blind spot detection and a second backup camera.