Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear view camera stuttering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
definitely not a hardware issue, since all 3 cameras stutter in exact same way at the exactly the same time. And then it's OK again and then again stuttering. Tesla said last week this is software related and there is nothing they can do until the update fix...

I thought this was only affecting your car ... if so it would have been hard to believe it was software. (By hardware I don't mean faulty cameras ... obviously they are not all likely to be faulty at the same time ... I was more thinking perhaps the processing hardware or central connectivity.) If Tesla know it's an issue affecting a number of cars and that it will be solved by a software update then clearly I'm wrong!

Anyone else still noticing the lag in the rear camera?
I really feel unsafe and have brought it in for service.

Tesla mechanics said:
- Delete all content from USB
- Hard reset the software
- Monitor how things are going from there

It does seem a software/firmware issue, but no fix is available.
Only happens on Intel Atom chipset, not the AMD Ryzen.

Have now asked for the service report and spoke with manager.
He asked the engineering team to look into it, coming back to me by Friday.
I feel that it is unsafe to drive with such a delay and am wondering who's responsible if you hit a dog/cat/kid which you just can't see through the rear window.

Anyone else still noticing the lag in the rear camera?
I really feel unsafe and have brought it in for service.

Tesla mechanics said:
- Delete all content from USB
- Hard reset the software
- Monitor how things are going from there

It does seem a software/firmware issue, but no fix is available.
Only happens on Intel Atom chipset, not the AMD Ryzen.

Have now asked for the service report and spoke with manager.
He asked the engineering team to look into it, coming back to me by Friday.
I feel that it is unsafe to drive with such a delay and am wondering who's responsible if you hit a dog/cat/kid which you just can't see through the rear window.
I have the same problem I've resorted to using mirrors and turning my head like it's 1965 again

Just received this email, which is not in line with what was discussed.
I've also asked for the actual service report, which they did not sent:

I trust you are well. I am writing to follow up on our conversation last week.

The following steps were taken at the Service visit:
  • Tested operation of the reverse camera and noticed slight frame rate delay in reverse camera feed
  • Removed USB drive from Glovebox and noted improvement in frame rate of the reverse camera feed
  • Verified that no hardware related faults are present
  • Reformatted USB-drive and advised to carry out a factory reset
The operation was found to have improved after the steps that were taken.

Please advise how the operation has been since the Service visit. Should you still experience the concern, please submit a bug-report, and reply to this email with the time stamp of the bug report for engineering to review the logs further.

A Service visit is not required at this stage and I will work with you to carry out remote diagnostics.

Kind regards,

Moritz

Have you had the rear boot harness recall done? That can cause issues with the rear camera feed (usually killing it completely but wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility that cable damage could degrade the signal)
They have done a full check on all hardware, this is just what they consider a known firmware issue.

My main question now is, how do I get the Tesla technician reports?
They refuse to provide those to me, even after multiple emails and mentioning that I would raise an official complaint in case they are not provided.
They also refuse to answer questions (e.g. can you measure the lag) and ignore any question about the process of raising an official complaint.

All they (the manager) keeps telling me is to submit a bug request.
Surely they have to provide you the results of your visit and tell you how to raise a complaint?
Anyone else had the same? I'm in Richmond, Australia.

They have done a full check on all hardware, this is just what they consider a known firmware issue.

My main question now is, how do I get the Tesla technician reports?
They refuse to provide those to me, even after multiple emails and mentioning that I would raise an official complaint in case they are not provided.
They also refuse to answer questions (e.g. can you measure the lag) and ignore any question about the process of raising an official complaint.

All they (the manager) keeps telling me is to submit a bug request.
Surely they have to provide you the results of your visit and tell you how to raise a complaint?
Anyone else had the same? I'm in Richmond, Australia.
Strange this is still an issue as had similar problems 18 months ago, sadly its a waste of time trying to get any software fixes done, all you can do is provide your feedback to the techs and hope that they put pressure on the software teams to send an update.

There is no way to raise a complaint, welcome to the future of customer service :(