Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Executive response was useless. Just thanked me for feedback. I'll send something more forceful via certified mail next week to their legal department putting them on notice for a defective product.

I got a much nicer / detailed response yesterday for something unrelated to the backup camera placement.

"Thank you for reaching out to us here at the Executive Care Team. Tesla is always curious about our customers’ ideas on improving the Tesla experience in accordance with our goal to build the best cars in the world.

Your idea sounds like one that could bring us closer to our target, therefor I have submitted this as a feature request for our development team. For future feature request and ideas or any other customer support needs : Please feel free to reach out directly to our customer support teams at: [email protected].

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback.

Best,"

I've also send a feedback note through the car (ie. press the voice command button, say "note"). If we keep the message consistent, and Tesla starts getting the same phrase showing up, it should start getting pushed up in their reports. I've done this before with my cable company. There was a problem on a channel, and I managed to rally a bunch of people on a forums to call in and say an exact phrase. The company's problem reporting system starts flagging multiple occurrences of the same phrases and assigns a higher and higher priority in their system. It got fixed the next day.

If you have an S or X, we should say, "Note: camera view can no longer move to top of screen"

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
I've also send a feedback note through the car (ie. press the voice command button, say "note"). If we keep the message consistent, and Tesla starts getting the same phrase showing up, it should start getting pushed up in their reports. I've done this before with my cable company. There was a problem on a channel, and I managed to rally a bunch of people on a forums to call in and say an exact phrase. The company's problem reporting system starts flagging multiple occurrences of the same phrases and assigns a higher and higher priority in their system. It got fixed the next day.

If you have an S or X, we should say, "Note: camera view can no longer move to top of screen"
But it's not just about camera placement. Even if we can move the camera to the top without having a second app of our choosing on the bottom, it's still lame.

Reactions: KArnold and f-stop
I got a much nicer / detailed response yesterday for something unrelated to the backup camera placement.

"Thank you for reaching out to us here at the Executive Care Team. Tesla is always curious about our customers’ ideas on improving the Tesla experience in accordance with our goal to build the best cars in the world.

Your idea sounds like one that could bring us closer to our target, therefor I have submitted this as a feature request for our development team. For future feature request and ideas or any other customer support needs : Please feel free to reach out directly to our customer support teams at: [email protected].

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback.

Best,"

"Thank you for reaching out to us here at the Executive Care Team. I can assure you
we take our customers feedback into account while challenging ourselves in continuation of refining these features and improving our customers driving experience and convenience. I would like to thank you for providing us with your valued input and honest comments.

For future customer support needs, please feel free to reach out directly to our dedicated customer support teams via [email protected]."

"Thank you for contacting Tesla. We really appreciate you taking the time to document your feedback about our new firmware version 9.0. We are always striving to improve our products and feedback such as yours is greatly valued. We're receiving a lot of feedback on this update, and are sharing all feedback with the correct teams."

At least they're not all boilerplate responses.

• Funny
Reactions: croman
Why should customers care that their bad experience is due to the company making it easier on themselves to ship different products?

Tesla is on the path to prove they can sustain a profit. This is one of those areas that can help with that. So if you care for Tesla to succeed, maybe you can be understanding and deal with their decisions even if you dont like all of them...

• Disagree
Reactions: Fiver and Jeeps17
"Thank you for contacting Tesla. We really appreciate you taking the time to document your feedback about our new firmware version 9.0. We are always striving to improve our products and feedback such as yours is greatly valued. We're receiving a lot of feedback on this update, and are sharing all feedback with the correct teams."

At least they're not all boilerplate responses.

Must be AI-BOT 2.0 :D:rolleyes:

Tesla is on the path to prove they can sustain a profit. This is one of those areas that can help with that. So if you care for Tesla to succeed, maybe you can be understanding and deal with their decisions even if you dont like all of them...
Seriously Spud guy? We already have to put up with a bunch of empty "promises". There's only so much we should have to put up with.

I paid what they asked. They are not entitled to do what they want. There are no blank checks with me except with my family.

Executive response was useless. Just thanked me for feedback. I'll send something more forceful via certified mail next week to their legal department putting them on notice for a defective product.

I nearly rear-ended someone because I was fiddling with the menu (buttons are too small for me as well). I was going slow luckily but collision warning did not enunciate. This new UI draws too much of my attention away from actually driving

In OR it is illegal to drive distracted with electronic devices. This may not violate the exact letter of the law but I believe it violates the spirit. I am probably going to file a complaint with ODOT about this.

Last edited:
I highly suggest the PIA it is to keep
Multiple versions of software vs making it the same across all the models.
Might change your perspective.
Why should customers care that their bad experience is due to the company making it easier on themselves to ship different products?

A company ignoring customers over supposed "code-streamlining" is not a recipe for long term product success, IMO
I would hope Tesla still wants to make the best possible EVs they can. Listening to customers is valuable.
Doesn't change my perspective as a customer (or engineer, or shareholder)

Anyhow I don't believe the assertion that removal of 2app support is really about the effort maintaining extra lines of code - I think it's simply to do with Tesla wanting unifying the LOOK of the UI across the product line, without careful consideration of all the actual use-cases with the bigger screen. i.e. I believe it's an ill-thought-out aesthetic reason. Form before Function. UI change to make it more "modern", because such change works in the smartphone market where people get bored of their phones and change them every year or two anyhow. Tesla could keep the same general v9 look & feel across both platforms yet bring back the flexibility offered before with proper any-2-app support to make the best use of the full screen of the S/X.

As @Electroman mentioned, Tesla owners already put up with a lot. One of their updates damaged my wife's car (indirectly, auto unfolded mirrors when pulling out of a tight parking spot where the car never unfolded the mirror before - a new "feature" gift from Elon I didn't ask for) for which I had to pay out of pocket. Another update almost caused an accident when I foolishly applied an update just before a long trip, then ended up with zero visibility through the windshield because the defrost button turned into frost button. Forget the fact that my Model S would require a 50% power boost to produce the 691hp that they sold me on. I had plans to integrate my radar detector with the SDK Elon said was coming in 2013, still no sign of it 5 years later. The list is too long for this thread...

Bottom line is owners have been understanding a lot over the years. Crap like v9 didn't have to happen at all - offer 8.1 with bug fixes and security patches only. For those who want the experience from the lower model car, let them opt in. I doubt Tesla would be as understanding if a customer was trying to reach profitability and on delivery date gave them a check for only 90% of the price - you think they'd say "that's ok, take the car, we understand you need to be profitable"?

Reactions: wraithnot