Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like all development is centered around Model 3 and the driving conditions in California cities where navigation is traffic aware, and you always need navigation on. Big bummer for the rest of the world (and US?).

A simple fix would be to have a flip top / bottom button introduced that just moved the app stuff etc on top.
And later / ASAP have a layout designer which decides what goes where. You know - like in all other apps that have multi view.

Last edited:
What about the rear view mirror, and properly adjusted side mirrors? What about the new blind spot warning?

V9 is definitely not a safety issue. Some drivers might need to change habits, or just not update. All updates that introduce changes make some people mad for a while, Facebook has had tens of rounds like that. Yet if you changed Facebook back to how it was in 2008, most would agree it would be really bad.

I’m happy with the new interface. I drove with the backup camera on in my 2015 model S for about 15 minutes and never did it again then nor in our ‘17 S & X. Just don’t see the allure in it. The 3 mirrors work great for us in both cars and the images on the ICU should help those that have been asking for blind spot detection to feel like that issue has been addressed

Reactions: jrad6515 and djlott
I am very disappointed in the V9 UI, I use Nav now and again but rarely, I do not want it persistent on the screen. This is a major step backwards in functionality for me. And the climate control is no longer easily toggled off with just a tap, you can tap it on once but to turn off it pops up the settings screen and re-centers the nave creating a lot of visually busy motions. This caused problems with a co-worker who suffers migraines easily from this type of jerking around when I gave her a rid home.

Tesla needs to go back to the two panel app stacking approach, it was much better, more functional.

Agreed I definitely suggest escalating this issue, Log into your Tesla account on the website and under your car select escalate and submit your issue. In this case reduced function of 9.0 and not being able to use the top portion of the display any more vs 8.1version of the in car software.

Heres what I sent

"Hello,

I have an issue with the new 9.0 software. I like to keep the rear view camera or the web browser on the top half of my screen when driving. It seems like this is no longer allowed with v9.0. I can’t seem to get anything but the map on the top portion of the screen. You have decreased the functionality of the 17 inch screen to only allow one user selected app to be displayed on the bottom of the display!? To top that off I RARELY use the in car maps on the main center display for more then a few moments especially since once I’ve entered a destination it displays turn by turn directions on the dashboard behind the steering wheel. At that point I switch the center display to rearview camera or web browser with WAZE. Please restore the ability to choose what applications I display on the top of my center console!

You should not be taking features away from customers, if anything we should have more user interface freedom, not less! For example how about letting us choose where things are displayed etc just like with a phone where you can move your most used applications around as well. "

This!

Reactions: Magus and Tech_Guy
I am very disappointed in the V9 UI, I use Nav now and again but rarely, I do not want it persistent on the screen. This is a major step backwards in functionality for me. And the climate control is no longer easily toggled off with just a tap, you can tap it on once but to turn off it pops up the settings screen and re-centers the nave creating a lot of visually busy motions. This caused problems with a co-worker who suffers migraines easily from this type of jerking around when I gave her a rid home.

Tesla needs to go back to the two panel app stacking approach, it was much better, more functional.

Press and hold the climate control button.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Because it unifies their Model S/X/3 software. Tesla doesn't care much if old hardware doesn't live up to its old promises or if it gets worse with new updates because it doesn't affect their new car sales, which is the main metric they are judged by.

I don't believe this to be the case, if this would be the case they would just stop delivering new software to those cars. Instead Tesla is not only updating all their cars but actually pushing g the same software to all of them I stead of separating "premium" (Model S & X) from "non-premium" (Model 3) as other manufacturers do

Reactions: davidc18
@⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ and others who are concerned , I urge EVERYONE who feels this way to please submit an executive review! It will not be fixed by staying quiet or avoiding the update!!

To Escalate the issue log into your Tesla account and then select manage your car. Then under the support section use the drop down and select "escalate this concern for executive review" and enter your concern. I have an example of what I submitted on the first page of this thread.

Remember “ The squeaky wheel gets greased “

Hopefully we can get Tesla to address the issue before you are forced to update due to a repair at the service center etc. For example if your drive unit fails they have to update your software after the install.

• Love
Reactions: Magus and davidc18
I’m happy with the new interface. I drove with the backup camera on in my 2015 model S for about 15 minutes and never did it again then nor in our ‘17 S & X. Just don’t see the allure in it. The 3 mirrors work great for us in both cars and the images on the ICU should help those that have been asking for blind spot detection to feel like that issue has been addressed
Except for the 55,000 cars that don't have AP1/AP2. For pre-AP cars V9 is a big UI step backwards. Yes there are nice speed improvements on older MCU cars but the tradeoff is a lot less usability.

Reactions: ironwaffle
I trust my vision far more than AP’s for blind spot monitoring. Especially this early there will be edge cases. We also don’t know if blind spot monitoring can catch high speed cars like we can glancing at the rear view camera. This is a big downgrade.

Also it only works when the blinkers are engaged. Pretty useful for avoiding bumping cars in adjacent lanes but useless for fast approaching vehicles. Back to the old school method of looking over the shoulder and being distracted by what's in front for a brief second.

I don't know if I'm the only one who feels upset about this update, but I updated my Model S to version 9 not knowing of all the limitations and the horrible interface of this update. I feel like Tesla retained the ability to have the camera and media player apps up simultaneously, and now I feel very unsafe driving the car because I use the rearview camera on top of the screen as a blindspot warning. With this update, Tesla limited us to:

No Rearview Camera and Energy Consumption at the same time.
No Rearview Camera and Web browser at the same time.
No Web browser and Energy Consumption at the same time.

I want to know if we can downgrade back to the version 8 with the full-functionality version of the software. As I said, it feels very unsafe now making lane changes, and we don't need navigation on our daily commute.
I stopped at a Supercharger tonight in Orlando, and all the other Tesla Owners were also very upset about it. It feels like we downgraded our vehicles and we all want the full functionality back or maybe our ability to downgrade back to version 8 until they fix this update.

Owner of a 2018 Model S 75D here.

I agree with many others that the vast majority of the v9 updates are a step in the right direction, however, after using v9 for the past several days I am starting to see (sadly) some shortcomings regarding the actual layout of apps and poor user interface styling choices in general.

I realize some of my feedback is very subjective, and the fact that I am a graphic designer by trade may affect my viewpoints vs. what others may or may not notice, like, or agree with. So, for what it's worth, overall, I am disappointed in the way the user interface as a whole seems to be 'evolving'.

Granted, previous versions were not perfect by any means, but many areas were much closer to the styling cues that I feel best represent the Tesla brand and the sophistication that should come along with that.

I am unimpressed with the current design trends (Tesla, or otherwise) that use the horrid soft-thick-outlines and playful rounded-corner iconography that is showing up nearly across the board these days - almost in a way that tries to show how 'cool' and 'on-trend' we are with our 'whimsical' 'simplified' UX design.

To me, Tesla really shines when it is setting trends, not following them, and this recent release sadly tells me that their UX is not headed in that direction.

I (selfishly?) want my car to feel like I just stepped into the future, when I approach it, when I open the door, when I sit inside, and ESPECIALLY when I access the user interface, touchpoints, navigation, etc. The new changes to the icons and graphical touches are a very real distraction to me and I cringe whenever I have to access a new screen or new icon to make the car I love do the things I love it to do.

I also realize that this new update is trying to bring my Model S interface more inline with the stylings presented in the Model 3, but I don't think the Model S center screen translates well with how the Model 3 center screen is laid out and meant to function?

One of my biggest concerns when I saw the Model 3 interface - and how it has the 'always on' map navigation - was that they would force that on the Model S/X interface as well - and yep, they did. In just a few short days I am already missing the two-app customization of my center screen and I absolutely hate having the nav/map on, prominently, all the time (don't even get me started about how I am now forced to see distracting slivers of the underlying map along the edges of whatever lower app I have open). I rarely use (or need) the map visible when I'm driving around in my local areas (which is basically 75% of my driving). I'd much prefer Tesla give us the option to have this on all the time or not at all, or the option to replace the map with another app, or apps that I use more widely. The two-app interchangeable option was brilliant and now that it's gone I'm having some serious withdrawals.

I could go on and on with nit-picky things like this, but I am well aware that this rant is far too long. If you've read this far I applaud you, and maybe if you have, you are feeling some of the same frustrations as me?

So, my dear Tesla, please please please, bring back sophistication and class to the user interface, bring back coordinated consistency to the icons and apps, and bring back the two-app options and ability to hide the map (when we don't need it) from our big ass, bad ass, center screens!

Sincerely,

A concerned life-long citizen of Teslaville

I have a feeling this divergence is going to be quite polarizing to everyone - some will love the new 'look' others, not so much. Me, personally, I think it's a step in the wrong direction - like many others.

Reactions: Fiver
What about the rear view mirror, and properly adjusted side mirrors? What about the new blind spot warning?

V9 is definitely not a safety issue. Some drivers might need to change habits, or just not update. All updates that introduce changes make some people mad for a while, Facebook has had tens of rounds like that. Yet if you changed Facebook back to how it was in 2008, most would agree it would be really bad.
Wouldn't it be better to give us all the option to use it how it is now, or, better yet give us the ability to customize the UI much more granularly to work best for our individual preferences and likes/dislikes?