Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those, like myself, who want the option back to be able to put the rear camera view at the top of the screen, please submit feedback for Executive Review on your MyTesla page. Maybe with enough feedback, they will at least consider changing it.

I actually did this because like many of the S/X owners on here I really think that this is a downgrade from a choice perspective. I love a lot of the things about the new update but removing the customization of having my standard view (rear facing camera top, music or energy bottom) doesn't make logical sense to me.

Does anyone else have any experience with going through this route before with issues and is there any actual response that can be expected here?

I have issues with the music app popping up when I'm trying to use something else (usually when trying to adjust the app size of something like the web app, I start dragging it a little and suddenly the music app takes over).

Overall, I like it more than not, but I don't like how all the apps are locked on the bottom now, nor do I like the grey scale simplified icons; I know it's the current trend to go all grey scale simple, but I'm not a fan.

V8 introduced a "feature" that the map buttons disappear if you touch the screen, or any time you're driving. I hate this feature since I often need to zoom suddenly and prefer to just stab the + or - button. (I keep.map I the bottom, where they don't disappear.) Do they still automatically disappear while driving in v9?

Reactions: whitex and JoeS
V8 introduced a "feature" that the map buttons disappear if you touch the screen, or any time you're driving. I hate this feature since I often need to zoom suddenly and prefer to just stab the + or - button. (I keep.map I the bottom, where they don't disappear.) Do they still automatically disappear while driving in v9?
This "feature" you speak of is the one reason I don't hold much faith they will give us back split screen apps. It would have been so easy for them to add a settings checkbox to disable the maps overwriting the top menu bar in V8 and they didn't. Honestly that map overwriting thing was part of why I stopped leaving the maps up top and discovered the joy of having the camera there instead.

I don't have it setup on the scroll wheel to do that, I prefer it fixed on a different function. But good idea.
I'm not sure how to set CC to be controlled by the right scroll wheel — it just appeared that way, to my surprise, when I installed 2018.39.6. I need to check the manual and experiment with it.

I've long wanted voice control of climate control, but the scroll wheel is way better because it works regardless of AT&T cellphone signal strength — low or no signal, which happens a lot where I live, means no voice commands. I usually leave CC on auto, so instant on/off, plus easy temperature adjustment, is just what I wanted.

I'm not sure how to set CC to be controlled by the right scroll wheel — it just appeared that way, to my surprise, when I installed 2018.39.6. I need to check the manual and experiment with it.

I've long wanted voice control of climate control, but the scroll wheel is way better because it works regardless of AT&T cellphone signal strength — low or no signal, which happens a lot where I live, means no voice commands. I usually leave CC on auto, so instant on/off, plus easy temperature adjustment, is just what I wanted.

Just hit the menu button below the right scroll wheel. It lets you cycle through a bunch of things that it can control. CC or sunroof..etc. I have my for CC. So nice to scroll up or down for temp or press to turn it on or off. My default was the sunroof and I dont use it often enough to have it dedicated to the scroll wheel.

The "why can't I have my rearview camera on top of the screen" is the new "naggate" and You aren't applying the right light force to the steering wheel.

Since I was chastised so heavily for complaining about the nagging and how much a farce providing light force is to actually making sure someone is paying attention....I'll be the first to throw it out.

If you aren't able to properly see the rearview camera anymore in V9 you obviously aren't holding your neck in the right position!!

Simply tilt your head, or eyes for those with neck pain, 45 degrees and slightly to the right and voilà you'll see what's behind you. :p:D:rolleyes:;)

• Funny
Reactions: SSonnentag
Just hit the menu button below the right scroll wheel. It lets you cycle through a bunch of things that it can control. CC or sunroof..etc. I have my for CC. So nice to scroll up or down for temp or press to turn it on or off. My default was the sunroof and I dont use it often enough to have it dedicated to the scroll wheel.
Yes, I just looked it up in the manual. Never adjusted it before. I expect that some people use the right scroll wheel for phone stuff but I never use my phone in the car, for distracted driving reasons (making me a "minority of one," I suppose).

I know a lot of people angry about V9 removed the functionality of stick top rear view camera. There're petitions, rants allover the internet.

TL,DR: you won't get it, and Tesla won't change it, the reason is because UI interaction logic is totally changed in v9 to satisfy the future product.

Current design of vertical screen on S/X is the 1st generation from 2009, the interaction of two screen split with top and bottom works perfectly for present and past. But if Tesla wan't to move further, provide more features and streamline experience, they have to think about the future.

1. v9 UI change is based on the great feedback of Model 3's UI. It wins lots of reviewers' heart and give Tesla a confidence to implement it across all product to streamline the UI interactions. Tesla's mentality is: If new user can live without a permeant rear view camera, so can you.

maxresdefault.jpg

2. According to the leaked rendering from new Model S/X Dashboard, it will use the same horizontal screen like Model 3 and Semi, instead of current vertical screen:

Semi
maxresdefault (1).jpg

Refreshed S/X (assumed change)
Tesla-Model-SX-design-refresh-Electrek-2.jpg Tesla-Model-SX-design-refresh-electrek-1.jpg

3. Most importantly, Tesla want's to emphasis the importance of Map for the advent of autonomous driving. After you achieve high level of Semi/full autonomous driving, what would be the next big thing? Not surprise: entertainment. That's why the media/stream player got their next best attention on v9, you can have all kinds of customization on media player, new features, but not with other apps like the rear view camera we talk here.

4. Tesla have a track record of never ever bring back old features because of people's voice:
When v7 introduced to fleet, you lose the analog speedometer on Autopilot equipped cars. Lots of people hate it, but they never provide a button to switch the speedometer.
When UI moved from v7 to v8, they purposely added auto-hide top menu, lots of people hate it, but Tesla never provide a button to auto-hide/show the top menu.
When v8 brings the new media player, it broke the USB player, after two years of struggle, it still the same.
And like iPhone, you can never downgrade a firmware, whatever Tesla feeds, you eat, they never listen.

The "why can't I have my rearview camera on top of the screen" is the new "naggate" and You aren't applying the right light force to the steering wheel.

Since I was chastised so heavily for complaining about the nagging and how much a farce providing light force is to actually making sure someone is paying attention....I'll be the first to throw it out.

If you aren't able to properly see the rearview camera anymore in V9 you obviously aren't holding your neck in the right position!!

Simply tilt your head, or eyes for those with neck pain, 45 degrees and slightly to the right and voilà you'll see what's behind you. :p:D:rolleyes:;)

It's actually only an issue for S & X owners. The 3 owners have never had a persistent rearview camera view. It only appears in reverse and when manually enabled. Since the M3 owners haven't complained about it, then Tesla tends to know that it isn't a required feature.

Theory: Could Tesla be preparing for a horizontal-screen in the rumoured Model S/X interior update? Removing the dual windows from the entire fleet now would mean a future Model S/X is not "losing" features
Yeah I think it could be that, and more. It's about starting to unify the UI of the whole product line NOW, at the expense of advantages of the usefulness of the existing S/X's larger vertical screen. Also note that maps WILL be the main UI for a car once FSD arrives, so IMO Tesla is pushing us now to a maps-centric UI whether we all need maps 100% of the time or not, just to get us to believe FSD is just around the corner. (we with AP1 cars will of course never get FSD, nor do I care, since I like to drive). And so existing S/X owners get a dumbed-down* 17" screen because M3 can't display as much info on its smaller horizontal display.
*Tesla calls this a "refined and simplified user interface". I say it's Form over Function - Tesla could still keep the pretty "look" of the new UI but give us the configurability we had before.

Assuming the above is true, imagine if v9.1 comes out and S/X owners lose the ability the configure the left and right side of the instrument display using the scroll wheels. Let's say the Analog Clock is always on the left, maybe tire pressure on the right - no choice allowed. Simplified, right? Or better yet, v9.5 comes out and the S/X get a nice big wide graphic showing only a pleasing wood-grained horizontal band across the whole the instrument display. (Speedometer of course can move over there to the center screen). Simplified AND refined, right? :rolleyes:

As I mentioned earlier as well, I have to say this sounds plausible. Unless Tesla changes this, it seems we the "legacy" owners are being dragged into the brave new world, even though our screen form-factor would support the old world better...

There's precedent: pre-AP cars' instrument clusters cleared room for no reason, just because room was needed for the Autopilot view on AP cars. Lots of information was arguably unnecessarily removed from pre-AP IC too and a not-so-well-thought-out version of the speedo replaced the old, more informative one.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: croman and privater